Lathkill head cave

tim.rose2

I'm hoping for some local advice...

Been for a wander up lathkill dale today. Had a quick look at the entrance to lathkill head cave as we passed.  Completely bone dry. I seem to remember reading the section beyond the entrance is wet, crawly and dangerous in wet weather. Given there's no water coming out does this mean it'll be dry inside? Is it also possible (and sensible / worthwhile)  to do as a through trip from the top entrance? I'm in the area for a few days and thought I might take a look. Any local knowledge / words of wisdom welcome.
Thanks in advance.

pwhole

I'm no LHC expert, but the last time I went in there it was in summer and dry at the entrance - we probably got about 100m before encountering any significant water, but it was just ponded rather than flowing - we could definitely have gone further but we were only collecting shrimps on that trip and had enough already! But I think access is usually quite far if the valley is dry - it's not really rained much up here lately. Did you notice if water was leaking out of the same beddings just a bit lower down the dale?

tim.rose2

There was a bit of water in the stream quite a bit further down. Trying to remember but I think the last couple hundred yards were completely dry. Wasn't really paying much attention to be honest.

Fishes

Lathkill resurgence cave is a short but interesting trip if the river is dry. Its quite a bit further down the dale and is normally under a waterfall. You might need to do a few minutes digging to get in  if nobody has been in this year though.

bograt

Lathkill head is a lovely little trip through a wet, crawley passage, but I don't think its been dry enough to attempt any through trips....

T pot 2

It's not the place to be if you don't know the route, if you do the sky dive sorts out the men from the boys, it's not a cave for the faint hearted

AR

I doubt Lathkill Resurgence is accessible, the central section of the river is still flowing, or was a few weeks back and it needs to be dry at the tufa waterfall to stand any chance of getting in. I'm not sure what Lathkill Head will be like further in but it might be OK, Whale Sough has stopped flowing which is an indicator that ground water levels are getting low.