Nidderdale Caves

Groundhog

My sister is organising a family trip to How Stean Gorge campsite in late July. I have never caved in the area but would like to do something with my nephews and grandkids. They have all done stuff before such as Long Churn and Dow cave. I know Manchester Hole and Goyden Pot are close by and have sketchy information on both but I don't have a Northern Caves One or anything similar and would like more detail before charging off underground with a bunch of relative novices.
Any advice on the area would be greatly appreciated.
I am aware of the flood danger posed by the reservoir upstream.
Thanks in anticipation  :)

Inferus

Have you looked at the UKCaving wiki? It provides useful info for Manchester Hole and Goyden. https://ukcaving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wharfedale_and_the_North_East

alastairgott

some stuff here :) ...waits for the Chiding from NB and CF for jumping the gun.

if you remove the .pdf from the kml, then you should be able to drop it straight into google maps using the your places feature.

Attachments

• nidderdale.kml.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
  • nidderdale.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 172
  • your places.png
    your places.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 158
  • maps create map.png
    maps create map.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 164
  • import.png
    import.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 167

alastairgott

older version of the goyden survey here, goyden is a classic. well worth a visit.

https://www.yrc.org.uk/journal-and-image-archive/journal-selector/yrc-journal-1934-vol-6-no-21/journal-v6n21p216/

JasonC

I recommend this: https://www.braemoor.co.uk/caving/route17.shtml, which is a fabulous trip, taking in Manchester and the best of Goyden, although it might be a bit ambitious for your youngsters. 
But it also contains a link to an outline survey, so you can pick'n'mix bits of the route using that.

A nice, but not too demanding circuit, would be to go in the main Goyden entrance, straight on, have a peek into the window above the main chamber (note the tree!), then back and bear left to Cap Left Crawl/Tunnel, then via the 10' climb (fixed ladder in place) to 5-ways, down labyrinth passage to the downstream end of the main chamber.  Then go upstream, up the boulder slope and out the way you came in.

Enjoy!

Cap left crawl is open at the moment. The entrance to it can be a Little daunting as you are basically crawling over and then down through a huge pile of smelly timber. It?s easy to miss as well. Once in (head first is best) it gets bigger and is mainly hands and knees crawling in a nice clean washed passage with the odd pool. Pops out into cap tunnel, turn left for junction above 10foot climb.
Quite a lot of passages around there and it can get confusing if you don?t know it. I suggest contacting Black Sheep Diggers via Facebook. Help and advice on what are probably more suitable routes for kids is available.

Groundhog

That's great thanks. Lot's to digest there. For some reason despite 50 odd years of caving I have never caved in Nidderdale. It's about time I rectified this!
Cheers.

Alex

Just be aware there is a lose roof on the normal easy way into Goyden, at the start of the boulder slope there was a large collapse a few years ago and the rest of the roof looks like it may go at any time, though that could be 100s of years from now or tomorrow. It may be best going around that area and going in via a different entrance.

Also avoid on windy days if the res up stream of the caves is high, though I would assume with all the dry weather it's quite low.

Last time I was in Manchester I could not find the way though!

Groundhog

Having done some research I've found all the info I need for Manchester and Goyden.
We are staying at How Stean Gorge Campsite and I see that they have a "visitor attraction". An equipped gorge walk with short caves. You have to pay and I'm wondering if it's worth the cost.
Does anyone know if there is other stuff to do there that you don't have to pay for or have a guide?
I see the Eglins and Low Eglins caves are very close to the campsite. I have the phone number for access to Low Eglins but can find nothing on Eglins. I have no descriptions either but from the surveys they look straightforward.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

loads to do around there - lived in the village until last year.

Plenty of mountain biking to be done based form Lofthouse or walking

Climbing at Brimham or Guisecliff

Duck ditch

Eglins is just over the wall from the campsite from memory.  Both eglins and low eglins are quite long but never really get going.  Okay but you might put them off. Better to heed Jason C recommendation.  You get a good look at the potential of the How steen gorge gill scramble from the road leading to the camp site. I think it?s impressive. Basically it?s a roofless Cave.  You used to be able to sneak in but last time I went they hav3 tightened that up.  It might well be free to walk the gorge for people at the campsite.  I think the kids will love the path in the gorge and there?s a little through cave as part of the walk.  Have fun

Groundhog

I can't find much info on Canal Cave. I may have a look though I'm a little suspicious..... :-\
Thanks Ed I'll poke my head in the two Eglins before I take the gang in. As you say Jason C's suggestion on Goyden sounds like the best option.
Alsatairgot that survey you posted the link to is superb.
My experienced pals and I will be doing that Braemoor trip very soon.
Lastly my search for a copy of Northern caves 1 has come up with one for sale for $150 !!
Thanks again for all the replies.

Ed

CAnal cave - is short and usually waist deep in stinking mud. Only one for the collectors

Be aware of bad air towards the end of Low Eglins.

Groundhog

Just returned from our Nidderdale Jaunt. Very successful. Kids enjoyed it a lot. We couldn't get access to either Eglins holes but we were advised not to bother with them anyway.
How Stean Gorge campsite is excellent and the owner and staff very helpful. We were impressed with the gorge and the short caves there. Well worth the small access fee. Tom Taylors cave right behind our tent!
Short video here:
https://youtu.be/mNZdL6itIAA
Note, no fish were harmed in the making of this film!
Thanks again for all the advice.

kay

Groundhog said:
Just returned from our Nidderdale Jaunt. Very successful. Kids enjoyed it a lot. We couldn't get access to either Eglins holes but we were advised not to bother with them anyway.
How Stean Gorge campsite is excellent and the owner and staff very helpful. We were impressed with the gorge and the short caves there. Well worth the small access fee. Tom Taylors cave right behind our tent!

Eqlins was my first cave - I was completely gobsmacked - that you could squeeze through a small hole in the car park and come out in something the size of a Tube tunnel. And then How Stean Tunnel - going in from the Gorge and emerging the other side of the road. That was over 20 years ago so my memory may have enhanced it.

It looks as if the new owners have removed the ladder at the Gorge entrance of Tom Taylor - there wasn't a slide when I went. I took my nearly 80 year old father through.

Groundhog

The gorge entrance to Tom Taylors has a wooden stairway. That slide is at the top end and is optional. There is an easy, stone step way in. Kids of course prefer the slide.