Caves of Northern Britain

rhychydwr1

THE CAVES OF NORTHERN BRITAIN (Caithness, Hebrides, Orkneys, Shetland, and Sutherland) by Tony Oldham 53 pp, 8 surveys and maps. New A4 edition . Colour front cover and 3 colour photos inside front cover. June 2006

Shetland is an amazing place, over a hundred islands of which fewer than 20 are inhabited. Most of the islands contain caves. Papa Stour is honeycombed. It also has the longest sea cave in the world: Holl o Bordie L 400m.

Read about Capt Ivy's Cave, where he spent a year hidding from his pursuers. Or about the adventures of Lord Reay, better known as the Wizard of Reay, in Smoo Cave. What was in the wooden casket he found? Better buy the book and find out!
Price £7.50 post free from:

tonyfoldham@hotmail.com

T

tubby two

I was on Jura last weekend which has loeds of short sea caves to poke around in. Its an awesome place.

tt.

rhychydwr1

tubby two said:
I was on Jura last weekend which has loeds of short sea caves to poke around in. Its an awesome place.

tt.

The following book claims that Jura has more caves per mile of coast than any where else in the UK. There are nearly one hundred caves on Jura

THE REMAINING CAVES OF SCOTLAND excluding: Appin, Applecross, Assynt, Caithness, Hebrides, Kintyre, Mid-Argyle, Orkneys, St Kilda, Schichallion, Shetland, Skye, Southern Highlands and South Western Scotland, and Sutherland compiled by Tony Oldham 2006 63 pp surveys etc. This book has been published to bring the original New Caves of Scotland up-to date and to record the caves which are not described in any of the other books mentioned below. To avoid duplication, the caves of Appin etc have been omitted. To make this book more compact, and, hopefully, more readable, the references have been omitted. These are available as a supplementary volume called, “Caves of Scotland: A Bibliography”. To save the trees, both books are available on a CD-ROM. SB £7.50

Available from:

tonyfoldham@hotmail.com

Brains

...and just how many of the caves have illicit stills in them producing some of the finest Whisky? I am sure a trip would start with good intentions and end up in the bar...
Perhaps there are more caves in proportion to the amount of whisky consumed?? :roll: