Windypits near Pickering

Fred

Me and a mate are likely to have a free afternoon and evening in/near Pickering in early September with work.

Does anybody have any recommendations for anything local. I've looked a bit on the web and wondered about OFAPI Pot? Is it still open and does the advice on the YCC page about obtaining permission from the Forestry Commission in Pickering still apply?

Thanks.

CNCC

Old Fat and Past It Pot is a cracking trip. It is in an old quarry in Dalby Forest and can be approached on foot either from Dalby Forest visitor centre (you have to pay to get in with a vehicle there) or from other nearby minor roads at the south end of the forest off the A170. The entrance was gated by the Forestry Commission owing to its proximity to a cycle track.

The key is, to the best of my knowledge, still available from the Forestry Commission office in Pickering.

I suggest calling ahead and asking about the key for the pothole in Dalby Forest. The gentleman who used to look after it was Brian Walker (I think), but he may have retired and been replaced by someone called Brian Hicks; this was a couple of years ago though. These may be useful names to drop to help them locate the key.

For other ideas I suggest contacting York Caving Club or North York Moors Caving Club directly; there are lots of other excellent short trips in the area and they are the clubs most in-the-know about the area.