devonshire cavern

Imo

I was planning on a visit to devonshire cavern this week. can anyone tell me what current access is?
Thanks
imo

Ralph

There is no access problem, just follow the normal "code of behaviour" so as not toupset the locals and park in the village NOT in the turning space at the top of Upperwood Rd.
Make sure the door is shut when going in (you may have a problem doing this unless it's been fixed) but certainly when you come out.

owd git

To make a full evening, or geologically interesting trip add Wapping /Cumberland cavern, (y)
then good ale at the Temple. P.M. for local knowledge (I swear I'm nowt to do with Moorhouse :eek:)
Owd Git. (y)

zippy

If you need to add in Wapping/Cumberland to make it a full evening, then you've not explored the place properly!  There's far more to it than first meets the eye - and some quite good archeaology if you know what to look for.

Z!

(and smoking should be banned in all caves/mines    :spank: )

ianball11

I've parked on the bend before! Oops, sorry local residents.

Is the village at the bottom of the hill?

Ian B.

Turner

should be ok pal, you do have one of those parking permits in the bottom left of your windscreen.

owd git

zippy said:
If you need to add in Wapping/Cumberland to make it a full evening, then you've not explored the place properly!  There's far more to it than first meets the eye - and some quite good archeaology if you know what to look for.
Sorry I seem to have overlooked my familiarity, and de- valued the Dev'. but have more interest in geology than archeology. (and the Dev' was 'stripped' to be a show cave in Victorian times, and seems more 'sterile' than a lot of Masson.)
That said , as a purely personal opinion. It has a very large un-supported ceiling! a few good crawls, and a little of the secondary mineralization (not withstanding that which is in the Geological museum, or Natural History / Mineralogy hall) Or that which became plumbing, or anything related to the 'spar, or other industries that pre-dated good old cave rape / heavy footfall & numpties. (mud fighting cave leaders!) 
It (The Dev') Is well worth a look, I seriously didn't think back to the first few/ or more times I ventured in.
Do a few photo's and enjoy / post your trip!  (y) (y)
Humbly yours, Owd Git. :beer:

owd git

Imo ,don't go this afternoon. Just passed two (led) groups of about ten each, heading up towards the Dev. It'll be like playing sardines ! (y)Good luck.
Owd Git.

Gollum

Its very popular with groups again. I have used the place for years with led groups and also as a training venue for SRT. Groups tend to use a a circuit up to the main chamber and down to dustbin chamber. You may find the odd group as far down as the miners pillar but that's as far as they go. They miss out on finding the old iron ladder or the warm clear water filled rifts.

T

Tripod

I too have always found the Devonshire system very interesting.
The ladder the one in the Upper series? But "warm, clear water filled rifts" - the flooded level at the bottom of the currently accessible system or something many people have missed?
It seems odd that there is quite an extensive system basically on one level when mining records make it clear that there should be much more below this and extending further to the East. The well known flooded level at the end (?) is blind and also seems to me too high to represent to true depth of the workings (perched?). Warm water should be encountered in the true lowest workings; if these are accessible and more sense can be made of the extent and history of this system (along with some pre1960's/1960's caver's stories) then that would quickly bring me out of my present retirement. 
The latest PDMHS Bulletin has an excellent feature on the Devonshire system.

D

DARBY

can someone remind me on how to get to devonshire cavern as the last time i went there was some time ago and have completely forgot  :-\ though  i do have a general idea but dont want to p..s anybody off :eek: thanks

owd git

park @ the temple hotel (if you check with Chris or Mel')
walk up the cobbled way immediately past the garage in the car park up the steepway forward left up the road at top of cobbles, 50ish yards footpath on right (muddy leading to steps) 30yds ish look for an obvious step up & over wall to right.
obvious rift ahead/left 'key' (spanner) handy for door  or just lean on it to allow the spindle to turn!  (y)
have fun O. G.

LarryFatcat

"park @ the temple hotel (if you check with Chris or Mel')"

Is this still the case?
Is that the best place to park?