11749768a5694768514l.jpg

the top of the gate

11749768a5694768772l.jpg

brains demonstrates the way "over" the gate

11749768a5694785126l.jpg

looking into the small hole

11749768a5694786318l.jpg

lookimg outof the small hole

me crazystaci and brains did a jacks to bd trip sat morning and found the gate like this. 
looks like the rock has been hammered away and roof has plenty of cracks in it so may be nore to come down. Lesw already nos

cap n chris

Probably needs fixing otherwise "the powers that be" may cite such an instance as good reason to reappraise the gating [i.e. rebar/concrete the entrance(s)].

D

darkplaces

Were happy for the 'Derbyshire key' and have worked hard to keep it working but this was a 'raid' by people unknown. It should not be a reason to impose stricter control as that will follow the same fate and stricter access would turn c**tplaces against it!

Its not a threat but this time you do want us on your side by keeping the existing arrangements.

Its lasted, 1 year that's all, it takes longer to educate and 'bring on board' others. The biggest fear and the reason many were against this is it was a president to implement stricter control. Applying stricter control now (as many expected would happen) would loose the caving community any credability (as your now involved) as you would be seen as going back on your word. Yeah I know its not your word etc etc etc, I'm only telling you what the less informed will think.

Lets get it fixed, and us locals will have to work harder.

graham

If "c**tplaces" is just a loose collection of individuals, how do you you know that "they" would be against something & how does anyone else know that you can be relied upon to speak for "them"?

D

darkplaces

Who knows anything in this mixed up crazy world.

Certainly the local regulars (including people from 28dayslater.co.uk) who meet to visit and help clean Box and visitors all feel the same way. I cant control people but can put out a common message.

I don't want to turn this into a c**tplaces -v- the world topic, just responding to Cap 'n Chris's view and outlining the probable events. I think I put a fair view across and outlined that its a case of the CSCC and c**tplaces working together on it, well as c**tplaces isn't an affiliated club, doesn't stop us helping.

It hasn't even got that far yet so I'll wait.

cap n chris

c**tplaces said:
just responding to Cap 'n Chris's view

It's not my view, DP! - just reminding people of English Nature/Natural England's stance re the gating whereby they said they might have to reconsider how to protect the resident bats within the Quarry if the gates didn't work.

D

darkplaces

OK EN's View
...and I stated what would happen if it went that way many a time. We met the Bat people catching bats, they were perfectly happy with the situation.
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20834 - recent trip report.

Anyway were jumping the gun. Lets wait.

The gates have worked for a year now, and will go on working once they are fixed. As to how they are going to be fixed, I cannot say; but I am willing to put my own time and money into making it happen, as I know many others would be. After reading about and also taking part in numerous conservation projects with Darkplaces, it is safe to say that the majority (if not all) feel very passionate about conservation and on that level mr DP is more than justified in speaking for us all.

cap n chris

Known by None said:
The gates have worked for a year now, and will go on working once they are fixed. As to how they are going to be fixed, I cannot say; but I am willing to put my own time and money into making it happen, as I know many others would be. After reading about and also taking part in numerous conservation projects with Darkplaces, it is safe to say that the majority (if not all) feel very passionate about conservation and on that level mr DP is more than justified in speaking for us all.

Very commendable.

clunk

cap 'n chris said:
Known by None said:
Very commendable.
It is. And it has been done before.
I/we often go round box, cleaning up after vandals at our own expense. We work together to keep English nature happy with this arrangement. It has worked for a year. It will work for another year. Look at the damage caused. This was not caused by the average chav. They were pretty persistent in getting in. Well I for one am more persistent in keeping these types out. They have probably started on jacks entrance as we have modified backdoor to make it pretty much bombproof, after someone dug around the gate.
I for one am proud to be one of the few that look after Box. I will continue to do so.

Hatstand

kinda linking with another topic running somewhere else on the site, does the entrance have any signage explain just how easy it is to gain legitimate access?

Would it make a difference anyway?

clunk

Hatstand said:
kinda linking with another topic running somewhere else on the site, does the entrance have any signage explain just how easy it is to gain legitimate access?

Would it make a difference anyway?
There are 3 notices on backdoor telling you how to get a key.
At jacks, there was a notice stuck in the ground just out of arms reach. Problem is they were climbing in the high hole and using the sign to get out again.
The original notice was stuck on the gate but got nicked.

ditzy 24//7

When we went in through jacks the other day there were no sighns there only the zip tags on the gate were a sighn used to be and no sines of any sighn outside the mine either.

D

Dep

Was the rock removed or did it just fall away?
Seems a lot of effort given the nature of the key!

clunk

Dep said:
Was the rock removed or did it just fall away?
Seems a lot of effort given the nature of the key!
That is a very good point.
I will pop down later after my new phone has arrived and study it to great length.
However, if the hole we filled in has been cleared (baring in mind that we used concrete in a bag to mould to the shape of the hole) then it would suggest that it was removed.
I am completely baffled as to who could of done this. I think it unlikely to of been a local. Too much effort for kids. And it seems silly to me that someone would travel to Box just to smash their way in. This would suggest pikey's to me. But there is nothing of value (scrap or otherwise) to a pikey in that area of Box. Only other possibility is that the conspiracy theorists and UFO hunters are trying to get to spring.  :eek:

cap n chris

clunk said:
Only other possibility is that the conspiracy theorists and UFO hunters are trying to get to spring.

Pretty much spot on, I reckon; unless it was Lord Lucan trying to find a new home.

L

Lincolnshire poacher

I aint seen the damage yet but i have to say i find it highly unlikely that the rocks fell down.  They were in my opinion, and i would love to be proved wrong, helped to 'fall down'.  This aint your average chavs either.  Little johnny would have got bored in 10 mins and gone and sat on the park benchs and look all goth like!.  Look at the pics in Ditzys post, the 2 brackets that held the gate to the roof were attached to the roof with nuts and a bit of studding (M8 IIRC).  These nuts appear to have been unscrewed.  What chav goes out with a 13mm spanner on his travels??.

As for the UFO lot being responsible, again doubtful.  Its well known that what a certain Matt Williams was spouting about Spring all those years ago was proved to be a load of rubbish.  They have moved onto other conspiracys now.  Last i heard M Williams was getting his teeth into the Masons.