Cave proof notebooks?

JoW

I know there's been posts on this previously, but not for a while, so has anyone found any good cave proof notebooks recently? I need one that's properly waterproof (synthetic paper not just coated) and sturdy - decently thick pages and a plastic cover ideally.

My best one, bought at hidden earth several years ago is now full and I'm after a new one. I use Rite in the Rain for surface stuff, but for me they're not tough enough for caving. I also tried a Chartwell waterproof one (red cover) but the paper was too thin and when it got wet all the pages stuck together and tore :confused:

Benfool

How about diving wetnotes?

not cheap as you pay divers tax, but pretty bomb proof and you can replace the pages:

https://www.dirdirect.com/Apeks-wetnotes-waterproof-notebook.html

B

alastairgott

I was thinking of posting about the same thing as I?ve seen some absolutely fantastic cave surveys of the peak/speedwell system from the early 2000?s and was wondering how I?d get hold of a notepad to have a go at the same thing.

Are there any A4 waterproof notepads?

JoW

Thanks Ben :) I'd not thought of looking at diving ones. Those look swanky. My last one saw me through a 4 year project so I don't mind splashing out a bit if it's good quality. Are the pages quite thick?

Alastair, it depends on how good you are at looking after it and not getting it too wet... The Rite in the Rain ones are good if you look after them fairly well - I use them for surface field work and they come in big ish sizes https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rite-Rain-Waterproof-Notepad-11-Inch/dp/B0026DYGLS/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=rite+in+the+rain+11&qid=1602771045&sr=8-6
However, the paper seems to be coated, not entirely plastic, so water can get in a bit if you don't treat them well, though they seem to dry out OK again. I've also only used them in the rain, I haven't tried fully submerging it, so you might need a dry bag or something for any bits that are very wet on the way if you were going to go down that route. I have bad habit of just throwing mine loose into my tackle sack which I don't think they would survive!

You could also consider just buying A4 synthetic paper. I got some off ebay a while ago which wasn't too expensive. I've hand drawn sketch surveys on these by just putting a sheet in my pocket and resting on a rock, but you could also take a clip board or tape it to an A4 sheet of perspex.

Mark Wright

Petzl sell a couple of waterproof survey pads in A5 and A6 formats. I use these for work and I think they are really good.
I don?t have a link but if you look on the Petzl website I?m sure you will find them. Starless River probably have them in stock.

Mark

GarDouth

Administrator
I've always used the Chartwell stuff. It's really good quality fully synthetic paper with a nice hard front and back cover. It's been on surveying trips in the very wet and very muddy North York Moors many times :)

Available from York Survey Supplies...
https://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/101-x-156mm-waterproof-book-5mm-quadrille-c2x22610173

They do a graph or lined versions in A6 or an A4 one too.

Ian Ball

haha I think the OP disagrees with you Gary.

Hmm I'm sure I posted a reply earlier but must have made it up!

The best books I've come across are the ones Antwan made.

mch

GarDouth said:
I've always used the Chartwell stuff. It's really good quality fully synthetic paper with a nice hard front and back cover.

I have to agree with GarDouth, despite the OP's comments. I bought half a dozen of these notebooks from York Survey Supplies some years ago when they had a special offer on. They have survived use in small, wet, muddy Peak District soughs and similar without any problems.

Antwan

Hi Guys

I'm hoping it was one of mine you bought from hidden earth....

I've just got around to getting my stock out and counting up after moving house (like 4 years ago  ::) )

in full fat thick synthetic paper I have in stock

8 A6 bound short edge
12 A6 bound long edge

?4.00 each

4 Wetnotes Size

?5.00 each

All 25 sheets or 50 page with polypropelene covers

Also I have one Gaping Gill survey special of only 12 pages thick for those tighter surveying jobs

s_allshorn

I use the above. After several years of extensive use I have had to add cable ties to each end of the spiral to stop them coming out but other than that still going strong.