Water Icicle Survey

JefeBo55

Does anybody have a survey for WICC I could have a gander at?

Searched Google and this site and couldn't find one!

TIA  ;)

Rob

There's a simple one here:
https://thedca.org.uk/sssi-monitoring/sssi/lathkill-dale

Although it's very out of date!

AR

The survey off the SSSI monitoring was taken from this article: https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%203-5%20-%20Water%20Icicle%20Close%20Mine,%20Monyash.pdf

Pipster

Hi,

Attached is a survey that includes the 2009 (gated) and 2012 extensions.  :)

Access arrangements here if you need them:
https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/lathkill-dale/water-icicle-close-cavern

Thanks,
Phil

Attachments

• wicc.pdf
    316 KB · Views: 190

AlanClark

The Lathkill Survex file has some up to date squiggles for Water Icicle, the survey in CoPD doesn't have the 2012 extension but has nice detail for the 2009 extensions.

Having been down there I find it an interesting place, big passages which are isolated from other systems but which must link to as yet unseen by human eyes passage and then to who knows where.

Pipster

AlanClark said:
which must link to as yet unseen by human eyes passage and then to who knows where.

There are several on-going digs involving various OCC members. Two are heading downwards (The Elevator, and Faith/Hope/Charity), and two horizontal (Oh No! Choke, and the choke at the end of Urchin Passage). The Elevator and Oh No! Choke have both had a lot of work put in, but frustratingly neither haven't produced any results yet. They're both on the back burner for time being, but the intention is to pick them up again at some point. Faith/Hope/Charity will hopefully see more work this year. The end of Olympic Stroll had a bit of work done early on, and there is a plan to looking at this again.

AlanClark

I've wondered where the choke at the end of the north passage goes, looking at the surveys it points roughly the same direction as the end of Urchin and Olympic Stroll

Pipster

AlanClark said:
I've wondered where the choke at the end of the north passage goes, looking at the surveys it points roughly the same direction as the end of Urchin and Olympic Stroll
Yes, definitely heading in a similar direction. I get the impression this is a downstream passage, with the roof slowly lowering until the floor is met. I think John Beck did a projection of the this passage many years ago, and it headed towards a shallow valley about 300m away.

Fishes

I think John Beck's thesis speculated that a feature in the western arm of Cales Dale might intersect passages on the same horizon as Water Icicle.

I also seem to remember being told about a phreatic tube heading south from Arbour Low mine, although I never saw it. I guess this has now been lost to infilling.

Pipster

Fishes said:
I also seem to remember being told about a phreatic tube heading south from Arbour Low mine, although I never saw it. I guess this has now been lost to infilling.
Thanks Fishes, that's interesting - I'd not heard of a phreatic tube being noted down Arbour Low Mine. It would be interesting to hear of the dimensions, length, location and heading.

AR

The workings have been inaccessible for many, many years - Richard Shaw went down there in 1980/81 ten years after mining ceased but he makes no mention of any significant natural down there: https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%2015-1%20-%20Arbor%20Low%20Calcite%20Mine,%20Youlgreave,%20Derbyshire.pdf
I can ask him if he remembers seeing any phreatic tubes but if it was in one of the lowest levels that had already been filled with tailings by 1980 he won't have seen it, and even if he did his memory of it after 40 years may be a bit hazy!

Fishes

Most of Arbour Low was still open in the late 1980's/early 1990's although some the lower workings were flooded. There was rather precarious walkway suspended on metal pins above a flooded stope near the bottom. I never saw the tube but I'm sure it was someone from Orpheus who told me about it around that time.

I had a real fright one day when exploring one of the open stopes that still there at the time. The floor beneath me gave way and I started falling for what seemed like a long time but was actually only the depth of a rusty oil drum.

Pipster

AR said:
The workings have been inaccessible for many, many years - Richard Shaw went down there in 1980/81 ten years after mining ceased but he makes no mention of any significant natural down there: https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%2015-1%20-%20Arbor%20Low%20Calcite%20Mine,%20Youlgreave,%20Derbyshire.pdf
I can ask him if he remembers seeing any phreatic tubes but if it was in one of the lowest levels that had already been filled with tailings by 1980 he won't have seen it, and even if he did his memory of it after 40 years may be a bit hazy!

Thanks for that article AR. :)

Yes, if it's not too much trouble, it would be interesting to hear if can recall anything natural.

Pipster

Fishes said:
I never saw the tube but I'm sure it was someone from Orpheus who told me about it around that time.
Ahh really - Ok - I'll ask around :)

Fishes said:
I had a real fright one day when exploring one of the open stopes that still there at the time. The floor beneath me gave way and I started falling for what seemed like a long time but was actually only the depth of a rusty oil drum.
Scary; I can just imagine what went through your mind! I remember once I stood in what I thought was going to be a puddle of murky water.... turned out it was much deeper; I temporarily disappeared, and quickly scrambled out again! Wet through top to bottom. That was a bit of shock! :eek:

AR

Remembered I'd got a copy of Richard's PhD thesis, which was why he was poking round in the mine - no mention of anything sizeable but he did take a sediment sample from a bit of phreatic, and he reproduced a section - attached.

Attachments

• Arbor_Low_section.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 156

pwhole

I don't remember seeing any natural down Long Rake Calcite Mine either, though to be fair virtually everything had been stoped out in the sections I saw - never been on the west side of the shaft either.