Portland slow to load?

Roger W

I know Portland is a long way from Yorkshire, but the Portland threads on the Forum seem very slow to load - much slower than the other stuff. 

Am I alone in experiencing this?

tim.rose2

Been experiencing the same over the last couple of days (as has Sas) - I'd assumed it was the whole forum, perhaps not then?
Tim

tim.rose2

Seems everything else is fine, just the Portland Board.  Dorset does have it's own time zone where everything runs 15 mins late; perhaps this is affecting the IT as well as the inhabitants now.

Tim

Roger W

I had assumed that the Portland stuff was on the same server as all the other stuff - the Dales, Idle Chat, etc.  But maybe not???

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The Portland board is treated the same as all the other boards so difficult to figure out why you are having problems.  For me and Pegasus here it loads instantly on both phones and laptops.  It could be bandwidth (which is good here) or it may well be slowed assessing the external links to the photographs as suggested above.  We'll try to get to the bottom of it with the help of IT support in the meantime apologies to those having trouble.

Alex

Perhaps it's a server-side caching issue as most of the pages in the other boards are more frequently visited, the server gives higher priority to caching those in memory, so it can respond quicker. I am not an expert in this side of things, however, just my best "guess".

P.s. its absolutely fine for me.

Alex

Ohhhh... it's very slow when I am at home rather than work. Windows 7 at home rather than 10 at work could have something to do with it?

tim.rose2

Unlikely - I tried it at work yesterday (which is windows 7) and worked fine, but have windows 10 at home and still slow.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Recent message from Q:

I have run some maintenance tasks that hopefully should speed up any of the slower boards. I still couldn't see any speed issues so perhaps keep an eye on this for user feedback.

Please let me know if Portland has speeded up for those who find it slow to load, thanks, Pegasus  (y)