Rabley Caves

tim.rose2

Hi,

I'm off to Devon this weekend (staying in Tavistock) and looking for a very gentle trip to keep me and Sas entertained should we need to occupy a bit of time.  I want to avoid anything with keys / access issues as we might not bother.  It would also be nice to do something new and as close as possible to Tavistock (ie not Prid).  Would Rabley caves fit this description?  Are they gated / easy to find?  Any other info / an idea of what the caves are like would be great.

Cheers
Tim

alasdair neill

They are currently in the middle of a major housing development, so yes they are easy to find and no there is no access at present. Currently the developers who will retain ownership of the quarry face are indicating that they are considering an access arrangement for cavers once the development is complete, but that is likely to be several years away.

J25GTi

Try some mines, you wont find many caves around here! But you arent far from devon great consoles etc plenty to see :D

mrodoc

PM re Rabley Chris. As far as I know the housing development has been turned down according to info I got recently from a local site. Ali may have more detailed info though. They are worth a visit.

alasdair neill

Work has been going ahead for about the last year, quite a few houses probably now completed.
There were notices about development at nearby Radford Quarry where nothing seems to have happened, could that be what you had seen Pete?

mrodoc

This was a website called Hooe Lake and originally Barratt homes wanted to build there. From the plan I saw it looked like the area affecting Rabley Cave so perhaps they are building on part of the quarry. Glad to hear access will be preserved. I went there years ago with Chris Proctor and reckoned there might be some potential digs there. I seem to remember a section that draughted.