Goatchurch/West Twin Spring

cap n chris

It is quite common to see cavers drinking from the spring situated in the valley below the entrance to Goatchurch Cavern in West Twin Brook Valley. It is also common to hear leaders suggesting that the water is fine to drink and thereby increasing the numbers of people who do so.

Since the reopening of access to West Twin Brook Adit this practice should cease since the water welling up in the spring is affected by visitors to WTBA.

"It was OK to drink last time, therefore it's always OK to drink" is not applicable and yet seems to be widely believed. The spring water seeps through a lot of organic detritus before it appears; yeugh! :shock:

Peter Burgess

If a little sign to this effect was put up, how long do you think it would last?

Last time I was there, a walker came off the hills with three dogs who immediately jumped into it and had a good bath. Looked like they did this regularly as they had no hesitation jumping in. Would you drink water from a spring where three dogs bottoms are regularly immersed?

cap n chris

Peter Burgess said:
If a little sign to this effect was put up, how long do you think it would last?

Half a day. Anyway, there's no point in putting up signs since cavers can't read.

whitelackington

That water tasts better than some beer I've had and believe me I've had a lot of beer and cider, I've never tasted cider that bad though,
actually that water is better than most lager I've ever drunkennnnn.

E

emgee

Peter Burgess said:

Last time I was there, a walker came off the hills with three dogs who immediately jumped into it and had a good bath. Looked like they did this regularly as they had no hesitation jumping in. Would you drink water from a spring where three dogs bottoms are regularly immersed?

Amuses me how they market stuff as pure spring water. If only they could see where it comes from.

D

darkplaces

Bit-o-dirt is good for you but I dont and wont be drinking downstream of anything. Mendips isnt the south-east, we got water in our taps. I would have thought it common sense not to drink from the floor.

badger

could also do the very strange thing and actually take a Sig bottle with you filled with perhaps even Tap water or if you a very posh caver mineral water. however this does seem a strange idea, what about placing a barrel of butcombe next to the spring, probably made with the said water!!!!