Newbie looking to try out caving

A

AJ

Hello,

I've recently been looking for a local caving group to talk to about trying out caving, however there don't seem to be any nearby!

I suppose this isn't a great surprise as I live in Northamptonshire, near the Warwickshire border and as far as I can tell, I'm just about as far away from any caves or mines that are accessible as you can get.  :cry:

Could anyone please recommend any clubs that perhaps wouldn't mind taking on an out of area newbie?

In all honestly I have no experience whatsoever with caving but the idea of exploring these underground places is fascinating to me and I want to learn. I may be a fair distance away but I don't mind traveling and can do so on most weekends (I work during the week).

I've read the FAQs and some guides on cave conservation and safety available on the wiki and on other sites but any other help or advice would be appreciated. I don't have much by way of the recommended equipment yet except old clothes, wellies, a good selection of torches and good stockpiles of spare batteries.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

AJ

paul

Don't worry about where you live, find a caving club with its own accommodation and you can stay there for the weekend near the caves. For example, my Peak-based club, the Orpheus Caving Club has a hut and we have members who live both in the Peak District but also in Essex, Warwickshire, London, etc. Many clubs are happy to take newbies caving and many also will have gear to borrow.

There are several such clubs in each of the major UK caving areas.

Have a look at the www.trycaving.co.uk website.

damian

The YSS are running a "Try Caving" event from our hut in the Yorkshire Dales on the last weekend in March. Have a look bottom right on this page for details.
See you then!

Lampwick

The Peak District Mines Historical Society (PDMHS) also have a society field centre in the Peak District, and run quite a few underground trips which are suitable for novices.  We have members all over the world, though most of them don't turn out for society events.  We don't do many caves, mostly mines, so not much help at all really...  :-[

A

AJ

Thanks for the responses everyone, thanks to some friendly cavers it looks like I'll get to try it out fairly soon!

G

Garysimon

Hi Everyone,

I haven't tried caving. But, I'll try out, next month we are going for caving with friends.. I'm little bit afraid  :(, B'coz It will be my 1st time.

Thnx  :)

R

RobGreen

Hi AJ

I am i the same situation, I want to give it a go but dont know where to go? I have done caving once up in scotland and it scared the sh*t out of me, I was ill prepared to say the least so I think I just need others with me for the confidence.

I am new here to the forum and I live in the north east of england and idea's are welcome.

Thanks guys

cavemancolumbus

some clubs set up is more novice friendly than others. most of the northern clubs organise formal meets, I recomend that you look at their websites and calenders and contact the ones that strike your fancy. I'm primarily a shandy drinking southern fairy, so not much use, but the YSS seem pretty well set up for taking people on. 

if you like driving in Wales the SWCC run some weekends for prospective members (great caves, but a reputation for being unfriendly), and i think the Mendip Caving Group are good at that sort of thing as well (great pub, pity about the caves).

damian

cavemancolumbus said:
but the YSS seem pretty well set up for taking people on. 

We are indeed. We also have a hut in the Dales which will make staying the night nice and easy. Send me a PM if you're interested.