Disto X2 battery discharging

Frank1

I have had my Disto X2 working for around four years now. (never been wet or dropped)

However last year I have noticed that the battery was flat and would not recharge.
The original battery was discharged to 0.01V whilst in storage so was removed.
A replacement battery was fitted and this discharged to 1.0V whilst traveling to expedition.
Whilst traveling the DistoX2 was turned off and stored in a Peli case on its own, so was unlikely to have turned itself on. This battery was disconnected immediately and after the expedition was found to be discharged to 0.3v, so was binned.

As an experiment a second ?similar? ebay magnetic battery was temporally fitted. This charged fine but then discharged to 3.0V over one day with the DISTOX2 turned off. This has been disconnected

When the battery is charged the DistoX2 is still fully functional.

The circuit has been carefully examined with a strong magnifying glass for solder bridges and there don't appear to be any.

I had heard about this issue from others, but not as bad.

I've tried to contact Beet but his email address bounces.

Any ideas?

Benfool

definitely sounds like there is a short somewhere on the board. Might be worth removing the board from the unit and seeing how much current it pulls with nothing connected and it turned off  - it should be pulling next to nothing. Then slowly add parts until you find which bit is faulty.

Which email address did you use for Beat? I usually use heeb (at) speleo (dot) ch.

B