Yorkshire CRO - 1994 - possibly the best caving video ever

Rooting in my loft I found some old caving vhs tapes including:

Possibly the best caving video ever

"A year in the life of Yorkshire Cave Rescue Organisation - 1994"

Rescuing university cavers during the silly season (freshers weeks)
and of CNCC's secret weapon - Toby Chilton.

part 1
part 2

langcliffe

Excellent - I hadn't seen it before.

Any chance of getting a copy on DVD and sending it to the BCA Librarian?

Jenny P

Yes, please do let us have a copy for the British Caving Library. 

It's a superb film and it would be great to have it in our collection.  We normally keep films as DVD's so, if necessary, we can convert it to a DVD if we're given the video.  The British Caving Library is trying to collect a copy of every caving film available and we're well on the way with help from all over the country so this would be a good one to have. 

It's a really great film, much better than the usual caving films, and I can't think why it's never been more widely shown.

Thanks in advance.

Jenny Potts,
Library Co-ordinator

Jenny/ Langcliffe

No problem - But it is limited quality because it is from an old vhs tape. I will send you a DVD or pm me and I will put it on our club site temporarily or you can have the original vhs tape.

Dave

langcliffe

Hi, Dave

No problem about the quality - having a copy in any condition has to be the first priority. Getting a super-duper quality one will be an aspiration for the future. I would suggest that a DVD sent to Glutton Bridge would be best - the address is on the library web site: http://caving-library.org.uk/index.shtml

Many thanks,

John

paull

thanks for posting :clap: just watched both parts, some nice younger faces that are now going to cringe at this coming back for public viewing  :LOL:

nickwilliams

I remember filming some of that stuff in Illusion Pot. ISTR I was on the other end of the hauling rope for the digging skip which is in the film.

I went in to work the following morning after this was first shown on Channel 4 and one of my work colleagues said the thing which struck her most when she'd watched it was the amount of bad language, but it seemed pretty tame to me.

I think Toby might prefer to be known as the Northern Cave Club's secret weapon, rather than the CNCC's!

Nick.

kieronyoung

I have watched about 5 minutes of it am going to bed but will deffo watch the rest later... Is their still Yorkshire CRO today or has it become surplus to requirements. It would be good to re film this with an 18 years later type thing to see how different or simular things are done today. BUT not a reality show a proper documentary like the one above not a fly on the wall were going to film for 2 years to get 1 hours of footage i mean a good old fashioned doumentray

cap n chris

kieronyoung said:
It would be good to re film this with an 18 years later type thing to see how different or simular things are ...

LOL. Some of the people being rescued might still appear in the next edition!