A Bit More With The TG 2

The Old Ruminator

A few from this weeks session if only to take my mind off all the petty arguing about access and politics. There is too much of the latter on here and too little actual caving.

I try to do things differently with my photography in caves. Portraiture is a fairly neglected field so I thought I would try out some simple shots which , hopefully , convey a little about the character in the image.

Postimage uploads 800 x 600.

" Mac "

" Rob "

" Peter " Always fiddling with things usually rendering them unusable.

" Nigel and Mac " Possibly discussing the groups latest hot topic -- colonoscopy's.

IAuto high ISO no flash.

Scaffolding. One subject frames the other and adds light to the background.

Oh yes. The inevitable " selfie ".

Ah a blessed oasis in the parched desert of caving semantics, intrigue and downright argumentativeness that this forum is in danger of becoming.  :beer:

Tommy

How do you keep the grit off your lens pal?

I gather that cameras with a means of attaching a filter may be protected by doing so but what about little fixed lens compacts?.

I ask because I already have a small scratch on my Canon D20 taking it out of it's little case (which was covered in muck!).

Never mind, it's less of an issue with cave lighting compared to surface uses it seems and any blemishes can be 'shopped out if needed.

The auto mode on yours copes well. I'm looking forward to trying the low light mode (and the rest) my Canon G11, when I have the kit to look after it properly underground!

cooleycr

Looks like an interesting project, and always good to put faces to usernames  :)
Thanks for sharing..

SamT

The Old Ruminator said:
A few from this weeks session if only to take my mind off all the petty arguing about access and politics. There is too much of the latter on here and too little actual caving.

[snip]

Ah a blessed oasis in the parched desert of caving semantics, intrigue and downright argumentativeness that this forum is in danger of becoming.  :beer:

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)  :clap:

The Old Ruminator

Bloody hooray. Somebody on the forum is happy. :D

I took the TG 5 into Reservoir Hole today. Tried him out on Live Composite Mode with a 20,000 lumens LED torch. It did not go well as I was in a rush. I dont worry about the lens on the TG's as I just wipe the muck off or wash it in a puddle. I was very careful using the TG 5 but scratched the lens on the first trip with it in Withyhill. You cant see it in the images.

Fulk

Yep, a welcome respite from some of the crap on here.

May I ask you a question, as we're contemplating buying a 'tough' camera? Are you completely happy with the TG camera? Or are you thinking, 'Hmmm, may I should have bougth the XYZ 123 camera?'

And ? this thread is headed 'A bit more with the TG 2', but you've just referred to the TG 5; which is correct?

Tommy

If your budget won't stretch to a TG camera, I can vouch for the Canon D20 Tough Camera with or without the 'CHDK' modification tool on it to give extra controls.
I picked mine up second hand for ?140, they seem to go for about ?180+ new.

ZombieCake

Nearly got a TG-5 (like I nearly got a TG-4).  Well, would have done but camera shop had an Olympus OM-D EM-1 2nd hand for ?440 inc 6mths guarantee in near mint with less than 7000 shutter presses, so I got that.  A year ago prices would have been a lot different. Bring out a Mk2 of anything and it seems the Mk 1 is old hat, but still very useable and nothing wrong with it.  Still get nice pics and ace image stabilisation etc. Any half decent camera should get 100k plus shutter presses as a conservative estimate, more for pro models.
Now, how do I persuade myself the TG-5 is also a must have.. hmm... well there is the thing... and if its a bit too damp.. and well, if it's the wrong kind of mud... and well the red one looks nice... and the EM-1 is a bit bulky... and ... well I hope i stop dithering before the TG-6 comes out :)

Roperat

Tg4 live comp. Good little camera
66f6370ea3617dd0e3c5939f8cc40187.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SamT

Just got a tg4 and whilst Ive not used it underground.. it was brilliant to have on holiday snorkelling/canyoning etc with the kids..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Old Ruminator

I use the old TG 2 for digging trips and mucking about. The TG 4 ( I said TG 5 above in error ) :confused: When I want to use the Live Composite Mode set up. They really are wonderful cameras for caving and for the TG 4 images look at the post under Mendip.  ( With my Son in Reservoir Hole ).

I am thinking of upgrading flashguns to work alongside my Canon 100D which I have not taken underground as yet. I would use -

Yongnuo Guns YN560 III  or IV with a camera mounted trigger YN 560 TX. You can fire up to 6 guns with this and change settings on each gun individually. Trouble is its a lengthy set up and my son was getting bored with me just using the TG 4. Also a lot of expensive gear to carry. Yesterday I carried just a small peli case as we also had to take in two ladders and a lifeline with only two of us. My pelicase had the 20,000 lumens hand torch, the TG 4 and a full size tripod that collapses down to 8cm and will fit in the case. Also just a cleaning cloth and some specs.

mudman

The Old Ruminator said:
I use the old TG 2 for digging trips and mucking about. The TG 4 ( I said TG 5 above in error ) :confused: When I want to use the Live Composite Mode set up. They really are wonderful cameras for caving and for the TG 4 images look at the post under Mendip.  ( With my Son in Reservoir Hole ).

I am thinking of upgrading flashguns to work alongside my Canon 100D which I have not taken underground as yet. I would use -

Yongnuo Guns YN560 III  or IV with a camera mounted trigger YN 560 TX. You can fire up to 6 guns with this and change settings on each gun individually. Trouble is its a lengthy set up and my son was getting bored with me just using the TG 4. Also a lot of expensive gear to carry. Yesterday I carried just a small peli case as we also had to take in two ladders and a lifeline with only two of us. My pelicase had the 20,000 lumens hand torch, the TG 4 and a full size tripod that collapses down to 8cm and will fit in the case. Also just a cleaning cloth and some specs.

Hi OG,

Love the photos, I wish more people would document their digging trips. I always take the camera when we are digging so that we have a record of how we are getting on and those involved. I don't put them into the public space though as all our digs are a bit secret at the moment.

What tripod do you use? I'm intrigued how a full-size tripod will fit into a Pelicase (unless it's a very large Pelicase of course.)  :-\

Thanks.