Caves close to Ambleside

ArranLaird

Hey,
Just wondering if there were any caves around Ambleside and the lake district via coniston mines?
Arran. :clap:

ChrisJC

I am not sure there are any caves in the Lake District - it is not an area with much limestone. You will have to go to the Yorkshire Dales for caving.

There are mines however, an entirely different thing!

Chris.

Roger W

I seem to remember reading of a couple of "caves" which are actually holes in piles of boulders - on Glaramara, I think.

Anyone been there?

Inferus

Roger W said:
I seem to remember reading of a couple of "caves" which are actually holes in piles of boulders - on Glaramara, I think.

Anyone been there?
Never done the Glaramara ones but there is a "cave" above Rydal Water (marked on map IIRC) - a short but spacious walk in thing. For proper caves (although still no match for the Dales caves) you need the edges of the Lake District (towards Morecambe Bay area or Caldbeck in the north).

alanw

There is a band of "limestone" just west of Coniston, Timley knot is make from an impure form of limestone containing fossils. Can I recommend the book "Lakeland Rocky Rambles" by Bryan Lynas, ISBN 1-85058-396-X which has a good description.

I also seem to remember a cave being found somewhere in the vicinity, but which the water board filled in with concrete.

Ah - found it
http://www.lakeland-enterprise.co.uk/Natland/Caves.html

A mile south of Kendal

adam

Dunald Mill Hole isn't too far away - near Nether Kellet, though I've no idea about the current access situation there.
There's also a cave next to the Fairy Steps at Beetham. You can do a nice little through trip. It's perhaps about 7.5 m long.

Wormy

Head south into Lancashire (morecambe bay area) back into limestone and away from the volcanic intrusion and there are many caves.  Covered in the 'north west and 3 counties' cave guide.  I think RRCPC did some poking about over there too.

Im heading there in august for a lookee