Upper Balls Green Mine

Paul Smith

Has anyone else been in this mine recently?

We went for a quick explore this afternoon of what we thought was it. (I.e the fenced off Mine marked on the 1:25K map near Ball's Green) and we couldn't find anything that looked like the photos that we had seen of it during our research. We entered via a small crawl to the 50 metres Left of the main gated entrance, but couldn't find a way through to where the main entrance comes in.

tamarmole

Wayland Smith said:
You might get information if you post (or do a search) on the mining forum.
Introduce yourself first, then ask your question.
http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/default.aspx

You may find that Ball's Green is considered a bit sensitive by some on AN - a couple of years ago a very intact vee skip wagon was partially cut up for spares by well intentioned railway enthusiasts upsetting the mine exploration community.  The situation was resolved satisfactorily.  However just be aware that there may be some raw nerves regarding BG.

Unlike caving where the location of most holes is well known and widely published many mine explorers tend to play their cards much closer to their chest.

As Wayland Smith suggests introducing yourself before asking for information is a good plan - softly softly is more likely to yield results.