A week in South Wales

reforma

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions for caves to do in South Wales. I will be staying at SWCC with one other person between 7th June - 16th June. We have done the usual OFD trips and Little Neath as well as an Aggy Trip. Does anyone have any suggestions for other trips that would be good to do. the only real restriction would that the trip would need to be not SRT.

We were thinking of doing Craig-a-Ffynon although we are not that sure about how hard the route finding is, Tunnel cave is a possibility but i haven't really heard much information about what the trip is like.

We would also love to do a DYO trip but so far we have not talked to any wardens to arrange a trip, If there would be anyone willing and able to lead a DYO trip during this period we would be extremely grateful, or alternatively if anyone has any suggestions as to leaders that would be good to get hold of that would also be great.

Thank you in advance.

Les W

reforma said:
Hi,

I am looking for suggestions for caves to do in South Wales. I will be staying at SWCC with one other person between 7th June - 16th June. We have done the usual OFD trips and Little Neath as well as an Aggy Trip. Does anyone have any suggestions for other trips that would be good to do. the only real restriction would that the trip would need to be not SRT.

We were thinking of doing Craig-a-Ffynon although we are not that sure about how hard the route finding is,

Route finding is only really an issue after Severn Tunnel, and then only if you don't have some information...

reforma said:
Tunnel cave is a possibility but i haven't really heard much information about what the trip is like.

Tunnel needs a DYO Warden unless you only enter top entrance, however, top is best done as SRT (can be laddered if you have ladders...)

reforma said:
We would also love to do a DYO trip but so far we have not talked to any wardens to arrange a trip, If there would be anyone willing and able to lead a DYO trip during this period we would be extremely grateful, or alternatively if anyone has any suggestions as to leaders that would be good to get hold of that would also be great.

Thank you in advance.

Draenen (If you can get a key and nobody's fu*ked the lock up...)
Daren...
Ogof Cnwc (Daren back door, needs a key...)
Shakespears Cave
How about some of the other stuff in the Neath Valley - Bridge Cave, White Lady's Cave, Town Drain...
Also Llygadd Llwchyr is a good half day if you're keen

Alkapton

I'll second Ogof Cwnc, and key is near me... The best trip through Nant Rhin needs srt but Nant Rhin itself does not - very horizontal cave and very beautiful.  but also very east of swc by Clydach.

Craig a Ffynnon... how can you get lost even in nw passage?  Just be careful of the weather and if two springs are issuing water by the entrance do not go in.  If only one spring is be careful - entrance series can flood fast - very fast and it has a second pulse flood, so if you get stuck inside don't go out until after second pulse.  The weather we get now demands you know worst case scenario.  If it flood it floods faster than you can get out/in.  Do not let me put you off - just be aware.

bagpuss

How far in advance does a Ogof Cnwc trip need to be arranged? I'm looking to cave bank holiday Monday but undecided where to go. We were hoping to go to Aggie, but saw in the Cambrian newsletter there had been gate issues. Has that been resolved? (I.e no risk of gate getting stuck?)

Alkapton

You don't have to book Cwnc - just arrange to get a key.  If you in club your club can have one for i think ?10.

Or like I say - key is near me - guess that be ok

blackholesun

Daren Cilau is an excellent trip. The entrance series has something of a reputation, perhaps due to strong words in the guide book, but it really is not that bad. It isn't tight, there are plenty of places to comfortably rest and a significant portion of the last third is even stooping height!

The rest of the cave is very good with the largest passage in the uk, some excellent formations and a great variety of cave passage.

It needs no key and route finding is straightforward with an appropriate description. It is also largely weather independent until some of the later sections (which would be a lot to do in a day anyway). It is also a quicker way into the rest of the system than Ogof Cwnc, though Cwnc is more interesting than the entrance crawl.

blackholesun

I think so, other than the puddles getting a little bit deeper, and the entrance occasionally icing up. I'd happily stand corrected if there is anyone more experienced with the system.

Alkapton

Even in wet weather entrance crawl is just puddles.  When you at bottom of scaffolding is a sump that has a dry bypass at about shoulder height after that its dry.  So minimal water/mud

NigR

bagpuss said:
How far in advance does a Ogof Cnwc trip need to be arranged?

Alkapton said:
You don't have to book Cwnc - just arrange to get a key. If you in club your club can have one for i think ?10.

Keys are available to ANY active caver (to borrow or buy), not just clubs.

Contact Stuart France (details on CSS website).

bagpuss

That for the info NigR, I was getting it confused with another cave but that is still useful.

Does anyone have any info on the Aggie gate? I want to arrange a trip there for my daughter, but don't want to risk getting stuck in the cave if the gate is dodgy.

flosiraptor

Bagpuss - we were there last weekend and it was absolutely fine! I was told it had been mended, and it opened from inside with no issues. Looked very shiny and new too (though I'm not sure if it is actually a new gate)