Weird bone fragment

Alkapton

Found about 250m inside a cave.  It is about 5 or 6 cm long.  It looks like it should be the top of a skull and maybe you see part of eye socket.  But inside the fragment is a weird herring bone structure

100_0202.JPG

100_0203.JPG

Anyone got any idea what part of what animal I found?

Fulk

Very interesting . . . I'm not a bone expert and I see what you mean about an eye-socket; but I wonder if it is more likely to be part of the pelvic girdle of some animal, the 'herring bones' being vestigial ribs?

Alkapton

I have also thought pelvis but, that don't seem right either.  It was a surprisingly long way inside, at a place that cavers would not have disturbed much or at all.  So it could be old.

graham

Almost definitely pelvis of some beastie or another. The 'herring bone' things are the transverse processes (probably) of fused sacral vertebrae.

Ship-badger

As others have said, this is almost certainly the Synsacrum (pelvis) of a chicken. Taken in by a fox or badger probably; though it might have been a caver.

Fulk

When I saw that rhychydwr1 had posted something in this thread, I thought that he was going to offer you a fiver for it.

graham

Fulk said:
When I saw that rhychydwr1 had posted something in this thread, I thought that he was going to offer you a fiver for it.

Not the sort of thing he can photocopy & sell on  :coffee:

bograt

Revived this thread 'cos I have just dismantled half a dozen chickens (snowed in - cabin fever  :cry:) It is definitely the pelvic bone, the ones I have just done were three month old table birds, the equivalent measurement is 10 to 12cm and the bones I have do not look as mature as these.
We are looking at an older, smaller bird, maybe a Pheasant?.
If I am bored tomorrow I might post a couple of pic's for comparison.