'Holiday Horrors'

Fulk

Did anybody see a programme on the TV last night ? 'Holiday Horrors' I think it was called ? which featured (among other incidents) the tale of a caver who nearly came to grief in the Tube in Lost Johns' Cave?

I was somewhat surprised by some of the stuff they came out with ? such as that it's one of Britains's 240 (I think it was) caves; that it's the most dangerous cave in Britain; and that 17 people have died there (well, from memory . . . I wouldn't really guarantee all this).

cavemanmike

Ye I seen that bit. He didn't try hard enough if you ask me
And what do you expect from the bloody media these days

Alex

God this guy again! All he did was get stuck in the tube for 5 freccking minutes. What was the actual problem was the length of time it took him to get out of the cave I was a minute or two from calling cave rescue on them on the fell as they were several hours longer than I expected, due to this useless a-hole. But there was no drama in the tube, he was just wedged for a little time, because he was too fat. I wish he would stop milking it and well f*** off really.

Its because of him we are reluctant to take people we don't know on trips, anything more than a bimble anyway and he scares of yet more people who would take up the sport by making a mountain out of mole hole.

I have not watched it but it sounds like it was a load of rubbish.

Fulk

And what do you expect from the bloody media these days

Well, I expect them to get it wrong ? but not so spectacularly wrong. Heaven knows where they got their 'information' ? made it up, perhaps?

mudman

Just watched it on catch up.  I remember seeing it before add it did the rounds previously.
He does seem to be over egging it a bit, doesn't look like he was in much danger of drowning.
120 caves,  I must have done most of them now then.  :confused:

Skyrmy

I must take the blame for this  :spank:

Whilst not realising at the time (if I had, I would have told his mate not to bring him) this is the same person who we met around 12 months earlier as he wouldn't go through the crawl in Aquamole to join the rest of his party.

Being the first through the Tube on that day, followed by another two (one being his mate), there was absolutely no danger of the cave filling to the roof and drowning anyone in there - fact is, he was an unfit, lazy sod who was knackered by the time we got to the LJ Master cave but wouldn't admit it.

Experienced caver my ar*e!!! 

Thankfully, he never made it through the Tube, if he had, things would definitely have become more serious as there was no way this useless lump would have managed to get himself out of Boxhead and would have likely become hung up.

Hat's off to the other two who ended up having to drag him out of Notts 2 and extended their trip by another 3 - 4 hrs.

Unfortunately, this d**khead seems prepared to perpetuate his BS at any opportunity - funnily enough, I've not seen him in the Dales since - so some good has come out of it I suppose. 

RANT OVER :mad: :mad: :mad:

Skyrmy

Ian Ball said:
Blimey!  At least he gave it a go, I'd have not even got that far.
It's more to do with knowing your limitations Ian and even a straight forward in/out trip in LJ would have exceeded his capabilities (as did the entrance series of Aquamole)

It's very rare that I get quite so animated but having agreed to him coming on the trip in the first place(however misguided that decision was), it really boils my p*** when you see his blather on multiple fronts, Youtube, Daily Mirror, Seconds from Disaster, 5 Worst Caving, Holiday Horrors etc. Attention seeking at it's best.

Apologies if I have offended anyone (except the obvious) with this post and the Mod's are free remove my post and block me if they wish but I am unable to have anything positive to say about this episode and as Alex has said, it has severely restricted who we are prepared to take underground with us since.

Alex

Hopefully Mike's post gives my post context as to why I seemed more hostile than usual. As basically the video is completely fake. If you want something genuinely scary watch my Sleets gill vid lol.

Skyrmy

Ian Ball said:
I apologise for sharing the video on facebook!  I have contributed to your piss boiling  ;)
Ian - share away for comedy value - I have  :LOL: - boiling of urine only occurs when I see it sensationalised.