10 Aug 2020 Thunderstorm

Brains

Hi Peeps,
Was around the Lune Valley and up to Kingsdale today and extensive flooding was visible everywhere. By Valley Entrance a small stream was running down the fell on the surface, and the beck in spate. In Ingleton we were told there had been an extensive audio-visual display with lots of rain.
First off, hope everyone is safe and not suffered any damage, and secondly anything of caving interest noted as a result of the deluge?

Fulk

Here ? just south of Kendal ? we had quite a spectacular storm last night, that started just before midnight and was still rumbling on between 4 and 5 o?clock this morning. Lightning flashes at times seemed to be almost continuous; I got up to watch, and timed three sequences. In one, I counted 22 flashes in a minute, then 23 and then 50 in just over two minutes, but oddly, there was much less thunder than I would have expected. Given the intensity of the lightning, I?d have expected a continuous rumble of noise. The rain varied between very heavy and relatively light. This morning I looked at the footage from the CPC Horton-in-Ribblesdale webcam, where there was no change in water level at all. It just goes to show the localized nature of these events.

Benfool

yep, incredibly localised!

Selside: 6mm
Helworth Bridge: 5mm
Ribblehead: 7mm
Clapham: 24mm

I find it really weird that there was only 7mm at Ribblehead, but just over Whernside in Kingsdale it appears to of been biblical! Just shows how localized Dales weather can be!

B

Fulk

Many years ago I was down Alum Pot when we heard thunder, and decided that it was time to make a sharp exit; in fact, there was a thunderstorm rolling around the west side of Ingleborough that caused flooding on that side (and the death of a caver in Sunset Hole), but the storm completly missed the east side.

A day or two later I went down Meregill Hole and was utterly gob-smacked to see flood debris about 50 feet up the 4th pitch; above that level, the shaft was its usual clean-washed self, below it was festooned with bits of grass and other debris, as, indeed, was the entire rest of the cave down to the low bit before the sump, obviously showing that up to 50 ft up that shaft, the entire cave had been filled with water. (And if you've never been down Meregill, that's a lot of water!!)

AR

It was the Peak District's turn last night - quite a lightshow over Stoke/Crewe way 10.30 last night when I put the milk bottles out  but little or no thunder, then got woken up at about 1AM by the rain hammering down and masses of high-level lightning overhead here.
I don't know about flooding as I've not been "off the hill" today, anyone been down Stoney this morning and seen how much debris is on the A623?

mikem

Only east coast of Scotland recorded heavy rain on here:
https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&ART=kartealle&TYP=niederschlag&LANG=en&DATE=1597212000&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=2&INT=12

A_Northerner

AR said:
It was the Peak District's turn last night - quite a lightshow over Stoke/Crewe way 10.30 last night when I put the milk bottles out  but little or no thunder, then got woken up at about 1AM by the rain hammering down and masses of high-level lightning overhead here.
I don't know about flooding as I've not been "off the hill" today, anyone been down Stoney this morning and seen how much debris is on the A623?

117698746_2764435443883245_6286437646307809246_n.jpg

Taken from Stoney Flood Group.

From Sheffield we caught the light show in the Peak around 2pm and then an hour later the biblical rain descended. Think it was very localised. Chatter on the Buxton weather group was pretty intense. Loads of weather-chasers saying it was the worst storm they'd ever seen.

mikem

Their website only records 21mm:
https://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

& Stoney 14mm in 4 hours (but 5mm of that was in one 10 min period):
http://my.meteoware.com/en/992776/today/

andrewmcleod

Given the massive clouds rising to the north of Ingleton, combined with the very high temperatures, I suspect we may be in for round 2 later this evening...