60 year old backward compatible digital camera body.

ZombieCake

Our friends in Sweden have released a digital camera body that is backwards compatible with stuff that is 60years old.  Very good to be able to use old gear and all those lovely lenses with new technology. Price is a bit steep though (think car), but looks very nice.
I'm not dribbling (much), but my Olympus TG-6 is still very nice...  and you can dunk in cave sludge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNycnti1Zs

JoshW

ZombieCake said:
Our friends in Sweden have released a digital camera body that is backwards compatible with stuff that is 60years old.  Very good to be able to use old gear and all those lovely lenses with new technology. Price is a bit steep though (think car), but looks very nice.
I'm not dribbling (much), but my Olympus TG-6 is still very nice...  and you can dunk in cave sludge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKNycnti1Zs

Nikon SLR's also have had the same lens mount since the 1950s and so old lenses can be used to varying degrees. Canon by contrast have only used their current lens mount since the late 80s

grahams

Or you could buy a second hand Nikon D800 and a first generation Nikkor lens. The old Nikkor pre AI lenses, made in the 1950s and of great quality, can be converted to work with modern digital cameras by addition of a bit of carefully placed epoxy putty on the lens barrel. Far cheaper than a 'Blad but not as manoeuvrable as an OlyTG.

ZombieCake

There's also a number of makers that make adaptors to attach older film lenses to digital bodies.  You can also mix and match.  For an example Olympus and Panasonic use the Micro 4/3 mount and you can get adaptors to fit Canon, Nikon, M42, Leica M & R, Pentax K, T-mounts, etc. etc. to the M 4/3 body, and the same goes for other makes of bodies.  The flip side to consider is you might generally only get Aperture Priority or manual modes as there isn't electronic coupling, so if the lens hasn't a physical aperture ring it could be a bit awkward.  Also need to bear in mind the crop factor, so for M/4/3 bodies putting a nifty 50mm on it means it actually has the image area of a 100mm equivalent lens.

NewStuff

Sony E mount.

You can adapt, well, almost anything for use. under a tenner for almost any adaptor I've used. I've used Robot lenses on an NEX 3, and I actually take it underground as well. Totally manual, but any 60yr old Hassleblad lens will be as well. Personal favourites are 50/1.4 in a Pentax K, and 45/2.8 Zeiss T* in a C/Y, which give stunning pictures if you can work with the focal length and FoV. Bodies can be had for very cheap now, making for an underground setup you're not afraid to use in anger.