CNCC History & Timeline

CNCC

timeline-fb.jpg

If you'd like some lockdown reading, we've just updated our history page - now with a detailed timeline from 1963 to 2020 including all the people who've been in key roles over the years. Read about some fascinating and important times in the history of northern caving.  :sneaky:

It was originally created for EuroSpeleo 2016 but has now been brought up to date and added to the website.

Do you know any details that are wrong or missing? Feel free to let us know - pr@cncc.org.uk

You can find it here: https://cncc.org.uk/about/history.php

PeteHall

Legend has it that Durham University Speleological Association was thrown out of the CNCC at some point in the 60's after getting caught pirating Lancaster Hole (allegedly tying off their ladders to the bumper of the Land Rover that they had drive across the fell).

I'm not sure of the truth in this, or how much it has been embellished over the years, but it's an entertaining story and I suppose does illustrate just how far access has improved since those days!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent piece of work recording the history of the CNCC, including the periods of time when they have not been very popular.  I was reminded of the editorial comment from the journal of the Northern Cave Club (NCC) from the late 1980's.  It said,

Let's hear it for the NCA                    "Bollocks!"
Lets hear it for the BCRA                    "Bollocks!"
And for the regional councils              "Bollocks!"

I guess organisations which claim to represent cavers need to work hard to do just that even if they are entirely volunteers.  I do wonder if the NCC were alive today what they would make of the current lot?

traff

Separately, the CNCC raised objections to a planning application for a scaffold tower down the main Bar Pot pitch.

Any further info? Why would you want to put a scaffold tower down there FFS?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
This was an application by Bob Jarman who ran Ingleborough showcave if I remember correctly.  The idea was to take paying adventure groups down Bar Pot (and to the main chamber presumably).  It was quite a big issue at the time.