Great Douk survey

Alex

hi, does anyone have or know anyone who can give me a decent survey of Great Douk cave? I can't believe there is no survey for this but there is for Southerscales.

I am trying to work out where the Westbranch inlet is heading and how far it is away to in Great Douk as it may be worth a dig and would probably easier to dig from the Great Douk end. From Southerscales it just looked like a low bedding that can be dug out, but lacks much stacking space in the passage approaching it.

Benfool

Cant help you with a survey - but here is the Sump Index entry for West Inlet (assuming its the same as Westbranch inlet).

So it might be worth looking in USLA Explorations.

B

Attachments

• southerscales.PNG
    southerscales.PNG
    437.4 KB · Views: 139

Alex

Thanks but that passage splits. The way mentioned there above, goes through a suicidal boulder choke, I never went up there. However before getting there, there is a cross passage above you up a climb, where you leave the stream and enter a high level passage. You can follow this for what feels like at least 50m to reach a too low bedding plane that could be dug (the floor is just gravel and mud, I was there yesterday). Looking at the Southerscales pot survey its heading straight to Great Douk, but I would like a great douk survey to see where it might connect if at all. (It could just pop out on the surface).

Fulk

Hi Alex, have you not got a copy of NC 2, which contains a line survey of the area, which may be better than nothing?
If not, here it is:

Attachments

• Gt Douk area.jpg
    Gt Douk area.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 235

JJ

Alex, have you seen this attachment. (If it works)

Attachments

• Final draft Gt Douk flier.pdf
    599.8 KB · Views: 210

langcliffe

JJ said:
Alex, have you seen this attachment. (If it works)

I wouldn't rely on that too much - If I remember rightly, it was transcribed from the Northern Caves version.

Fulk

The two look remarkably similar . . . which, of course, is what you'd expect for two maps of the same place, but the similarity leads me to conclude that the second version is based on the first, as langcliffe remarks.

langcliffe

Fulk said:
The two look remarkably similar . . . which, of course, is what you'd expect for two maps of the same place, but the similarity leads me to conclude that the second version is based on the first, as langcliffe remarks.

In fact having taken a look at it, it actually says: "Survey Based on Northern Caves Vol 2 by  A Brook , D Brook,  J Griffiths,  MH Long".

Beardy

Alex

does  http://cavemaps.org/surveys/ulsa/full/ULSA%20J69%20Southerscales%20Pot.png

help ?

Alex

does  http://cavemaps.org/surveys/ulsa/full/ULSA%20J69%20Southerscales%20Pot.png

Thanks, but that's the one I already have, you can see the west passage heading off towards the bottom but what you can't see because it's off the bottom is were in Great Douk it's heading to, are there any inlets etc?

Hi Alex, have you not got a copy of NC 2, which contains a line survey of the area, which may be better than nothing?
Thanks but not detailed enough, I am looking for something on par to the details of SoutherScales, something that shows minor inlets etc. The line survey may be missing those details. But at least that gives me a vague idea.