JH Mine Access Update - DCA

DCA

A large adjustable spanner (Derbyshire Key) is now required to open the James Hall Over Engine Mine lid.
You still need to call at Rowter Farm and pay ?2 for access.

There is also a pair of M16x150mm steel eye-bolts (resin fixed) in the concrete surround as backup anchors. This is to allow for a little more security when entering and exiting the shaft or leaning over to rig the main drop from the belay bar. The lid can be closed with the rope still in situ thanks to a small modification to the lid edge.

For full details, please see: https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/castleton/james-halls-over-engine-mine

The DCA Team

Attachments

• 20210702_144610451_iOS mini.jpg
    20210702_144610451_iOS mini.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 490
  • 20210702_143431742_iOS mini.jpg
    20210702_143431742_iOS mini.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210702_143616652_iOS mini.jpg
    20210702_143616652_iOS mini.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 140

alastairgott

This looks great, I hope you two volunteers had a good day out. I saw RR, AS and GF parked at P8 a few weeks back as I was driving past, and when I went the other week found the double stiles to be in tip top condition, I can only assume you were involved! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Rob

Always impressed with the enthusiasm and quality of work of the DCA projects team, and their wider support crew. Keep up the great work.  (y)

DCA

Now that this new locking mechanism has been in use for a while, there are a couple of things DCA wishes to share.

1. Please work the sliding bolt in and out a few times when you visit, to help it stay moving and not seize up. A bit of grit or corrosion stiffened it up to the point it was not moving recently, but a tap with a rock and some repeated locking/unlocking fixed that. Thanks to the cavers that reported the issue.
2. It is really important to keep the sliding bolt retracted (open position) when the lid is up. If it is in the out position and the lid is closed or dropped, it bends the sliding bolt and may knacker it.
3. On a couple of occasions recently, cavers have reported that the nut which locks the hatch used to reach the sliding bolt had only been finger tight. Cavers are reminded that this should be nipped tight with a spanner and not be accessible with hands alone. The shaft is very close to a footpath and if not kept secure with the Derbyshire Key system, the owner may ask for it to return to a lock and key (which no one wants). The Derbyshire Key system works well but only if cavers secure the nuts beyond finger tight, so please ensure this is the case when you use one.

Thanks, the DCA Access Team