BCA Membership Fee Rise

aricooperdavis

The BCA executive have released the following statement to accompany the news that the membership fee is due to rise from the first of January next year.

For the last 2 years BCA has been spending more than it?s been raising in income and reducing its reserves. The increase in the membership fee is looking to alter that situation. The last fee increase was a long time ago. Some fees have reduced in the last few years. The proposal does not affect student fees, non-caving member fees or club fees, merely member fees that are currently ?17 increasing to ?20.

Benfool

Thanks for posting this Ari.

I'd like to thank the BCA executive for rethinking about taking this to the AGM and just doing it. The original proposal was for this to be voted on at the AGM and then a subsequent electronic vote - this would of meant that the actual decision wouldn't of been made until mid November. By this time many of the larger clubs would of been well on their way to collecting the 2022 subs (including BCA membership), so would of potentially had to of make up the shortfall out of their own reserves. This way clubs now have enough notice to collect the right amount of money from their members.

Thanks

B

gingerlycolors

Unfortunately it is inevitable that the fee will have to go up sometime.  The last couple of years have been difficult with both the pandemic and Brexit and the BCA will no doubt have it's work cut out campaigning for continued access to caves on mainland Europe, especially places like Matienzo.

Benfool

Its got nothing to do with Brexit or the Pandemic, its to do with the BCA's increased spending on things like the CROW campaign and Youth and Development, as well as opening up the possible things that the regional councils can claim back for.

And I would of thought that the BCA will be campaigning for easier access to caves across the UK, rather than mainland Europe where they have no authority or jurisdiction.

B

Jenny P

Benfool said:
Its got nothing to do with Brexit or the Pandemic, its to do with the BCA's increased spending on things like the CROW campaign and Youth and Development, as well as opening up the possible things that the regional councils can claim back for.

And I would of thought that the BCA will be campaigning for easier access to caves across the UK, rather than mainland Europe where they have no authority or jurisdiction.

B

Don't forget that the spending on the CRoW issue as BCA is paying for the attempt to hold the Welsh Government and NRW to account by a Judicial Review IS "campaigning for easier access to caves across the UK".  IMHO that's money well spent on behalf of British cavers.

2xw

cavemanmike said:
Can you tell me why its gone up to 10m.
I live in North Wales so have a very good idea why

Sounds like you already know why. But there are other areas of the country where a greater amount of coverage has been requested, in addition, to recent claims in other sports.

You'd be better off asking that question directly to the insurance manager (feel free to copy the answer here)

Most of the rise is due to aforementioned spending increases however, shouldn't be put down solely to insurance - BCA has spent quite a bit recently on conservation and access, and it's the same in other areas like Y&D

aricooperdavis

cavemanmike said:
Can you tell me why its gone up to 10m.

In January 2020 BCA Council voted unanimously in favour of a proposal from the Insurance Manager to raise the public liability insurance cover limit to ?10M. The proposal cited recent claims from similar policies such as the BMC's public liability policy, and was supported by advice from the BCA's broker. During the debate in council other council members noted that this was a prudent decision, and shared experiences of difficulties that they had encountered with the current limit being seen as low by third parties (such as universities). The additional cost to the BCA is around ?10k per year.

I don't have an incredible memory, I just downloaded the minutes from the BCA website and paraphrased here.

NewStuff

aricooperdavis said:
In January 2020 BCA Council voted unanimously in favour of a proposal from the Insurance Manager to raise the public liability insurance cover limit to ?10M....

North Wales Wildlife Trust, the new owners of Minera Quarry where several caves including Ogof Dydd Braf are, required a ?10M policy.
This issue locally is more to do with the access controlling body (NWCC) refusing access or help (which has been offered by other local clubs with the usual reply being "not interested") in sorting any issues, so any sort of cover is largely moot for anyone outside of that club.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not on BCA anymore but....

Until the last two years BCA had made a surplus on fees since 2004.  Sometimes up to 20k a year.  This accumulated a significant surplus of cash in the bank which was far more than needed.  However, there were restrictions and an attitude in council and particularly on the exec that prevented certain types of spending.  In recent times this attitude has been overcome and inroads made into the surplus for the benefit of caving (as it should be).  Youth and Development, Conservation and Access, the Regions have been the beneficiaries in the main.  Unfortunately increases in insurance costs and limits have gone up, but, if memory serves me correctly, this is about 35% of total income.  Putting up the fee can hopefully ensure levels of spending are maintained and increased across the board.

The biggest problem BCA (and other orgs) face is nothing to do with money.  Caving is awash with money.  Most caving organisations can't spend the money they hold in bank accounts anyway.  It is volunteer time that is in short supply.  People who can actually do stuff, work on projects, better representation etc.  ?20 a year is nothing to most cavers - getting something worthwhile for it is the key.

Pitlamp

So - an increase of ?3 a year; less than one decent pint - big deal. I'm genuinely surprised this has sparked even this amount of discussion.

I consider ?20 is excellent value for what members get in return. Mine will be paid, with gratitude for all the work of the volunteers which Badlad mentions above, as soon as it falls due (as always).

lumenchild

as mentioned above, it's only a ?3 rise, besides you couldn't even get a fish'n'chips for ?3 but you will get out caving, and be insured :D

Graigwen

I suppose I will be considered flippant if I say an extra ?3 will be worth it for the CROW entertainment alone.

Seriously, it is one of the few price rises I don't mind.

NewStuff

Not sure I've read any bitching by anyone in this thread about the rise. A few clarifications on related matters and most other people saying they understand the need.

cavemanmike

NewStuff said:
Not sure I've read any bitching by anyone in this thread about the rise. A few clarifications on related matters and most other people saying they understand the need.

What he said