Moss Head Slate Mine, Coniston

Paul Marvin

Just planning our next week away and was going to include this , tell me guys is it a good un ? and worth putting in our itinerary ?    :-\

good trip do not do what I did and two of us took 50 meters of ladder and rope to rig a drop in a huge chamber that ''had no floor !!'' only to find it was the same chamber that "had no roof"(ie not two huge chambers) we only found out when we got down a lesser drop of 25 meters !!
took a lot of flash powder (1970s)to light up and photos showed things we could not see  ::)
The well known Cathedral "cave'' in Little Langdale near slaters bridge is good easy to get to and photogenic

Inferus

IIRC it's not extensive but quite impressive, seem to remember the surface being of interest too with some mining related bits to look at. As it's quite high up the last time I was there I nipped up the Old Man, which isn't too much extra effort.

Paul Marvin

Inferus said:
IIRC it's not extensive but quite impressive, seem to remember the surface being of interest too with some mining related bits to look at. As it's quite high up the last time I was there I nipped up the Old Man, which isn't too much extra effort.

Yes seen the surface stuff outside which I agree is very good and with no cloud a very pleasant view , just never been inside ( yet )  (y)