Cordless tool advice

Pitlamp

Fed up with cutting up steel scaffolding with a hacksaw, so thinking of buying one of these:

https://www.toolstation.com/makita-18v-115mm-cordless-angle-grinder/p62974

I've become quite a fan of Makita tools since Badlad directed me to buy one of their cordless drills a while ago (so I already have the 18 V batteries to fit). Tool Station currently shows them out of stock so I'd have to source one elsewhere.

My question is - will this be OK to chop through steel scaff? Will I have to cut part way and complete the cut from the other side, as the disc size is quite small? (That might mean cutting in situ scaff, with potentially rusted scaff clip nuts so tubes can't be rotated, could be a problem.)

I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts . . .

SamT

Hi PL...

Yes, they're perfect for the job.  Used my Makita one many times.

Only issue might be getting through in one like you say.  (The discs do get smaller quite rapidly too).  In cases where you cant rotate/get round the back, you can always do the bulk of it and finish off with a hacksaw?

They can leave quite a sharp raggedy edge, so beware snagging yourself on that.

Top Tip - Carry spare cutting discs in an old CD case!

Pitlamp

Thanks Sam - yes, I'm a stickler for deburring things immediately. Love the CD case tip!

Shapatti

I can't talk to the reliability of cutting scaff tube with a Makita grinder, but the 18v ones I've used have worked well on Unistrut of various sizes.
As SamT said, the thin discs will go fairly quick on thicker cuts like scaff tube, though that would be the same of the thin grinder discs.

I've always found FastFix to be incredibly competitive on Makita tools, and their delivery / customer service is pretty awesome.
They are a main Makita stockist so they get a good rate on stuff, and their occasional promotions are normally a very good deal.
https://www.fastfix.co.uk

fishes 1

I use a record 102 pipe cutter for cutting scaff tubes. . They are tough, waterproof, cordless and never run out of charge and the cut end won't rip your hand open. There are plenty around on fleabay etc.

nickwilliams

John,

That's the brush motor version of Makita's grinder. It's considerably inferior to the brushless model but it is cheaper.

My recommendation would be to go for the brushless model but I have one of these brush versions which I never use ('cos I have two of the brushless ones) which I'd be happy to sell to you at an advantageous rate.

I can confirm it will cut scaffold tube. You have to rotate the tube to cut round the entire circumference. (If you want to cut straight through then you'll need a 9in grinder, but that's another story.)

You've got my e-mail. Drop me a line if you're interested.

SamT

I've got a record 102 cutter, and its a great bit of kit, other than it can be hard to use underground. 

Its best if the bar to be cut can be clamped onto scaff and its quite hard to hold the bar with enough grip, especially when wet/muddy. Plus you need quite a lot of room to rotate thing around the scaff.  Not always practical underground.

Mine has not been used for years and I'd always just reach for the grinder these days.

Rob

I have a brushed Makita 18v ginder, matches the Eldon drill so good sharing of batteries. It's a great tool for cutting scaf/locks/gates/etc  ;) and seems very robust so far. NB You definitely want thin discs for speed and protecting them in the cave is a must.

I've also previously used a 102 pipe cutter and whilst i do like it, it takes much longer than an angle grinder and also needs quite a bit of space to use, which is generally hard to find in my scaffolded digs!

pwhole

Another vote for the brushless Makita grinder - I love mine! And the Bosch discs are very good and come in a handy tin. Though try opening it with muddy gloves at the dig face and a I guarantee some swearing. So maybe a large grip-bag (or CD case) for spares :)

https://www.toolstation.com/bosch-inox-metal-cutting-disc/p68514

georgenorth

Personally I?d go for a cordless reciprocating saw instead of a grinder. They?re easier to use, safer, similar cutting speed, similar price.

traff

Get the 125mm version, the extra 10mm makes all the difference  :spank:

Seriously though, I've been upgrading my grinders to 125mm, it's often just a change of guard. The discs last a little longer and give that extra depth of cut, often just enough to save reaching for the 9".

Paul Marvin

Cripplecreeker said:
Personally I?d go for a cordless reciprocating saw instead of a grinder. They?re easier to use, safer, similar cutting speed, similar price.

Too true for this a application

tomferry

Definitely get the grinder but make sure you use these discs , Just never force pressure on them and they cut very fast and last ages .

https://www.toolstation.com/bosch-inox-metal-cutting-disc/p14472

nickwilliams

traff said:
Get the 125mm version, the extra 10mm makes all the difference  :spank:

Seriously though, I've been upgrading my grinders to 125mm, it's often just a change of guard. The discs last a little longer and give that extra depth of cut, often just enough to save reaching for the 9".

IME the brushed model doesn't have quite enough torque to cope with a 125mm disc, whereas the brushless one does. The brushless 9in version (which uses two batteries) is an absolute animal.

Paul Marvin

Or if you get a grinder and use it a lot its worth investing in a diamond blade they are dearer very thin and last a LONG time