Problems using the Like button??

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
wl

Hi Folks,

If you are loggin in, any problems finding/using the like button??  Have been contacted by someone who can't see it on posts, am wondering if it's happening to lots of people  :)

Thanks, Pegasus

CJ

Ok - I have just figured it out after tinkering with my browser settings;
The issue was an ad-blocker which uses cosmetic filtering/element hiding to remove DOM elements (including the "like" button). If anyone uses uBlock Origin, Ad-Blocker Pro, or any add-ons which feature such filters, it must be turned off in order to see the "like" button.

Pegasus - I'm not sure if you want to delete the thread or keep this up in case anyone else has the same issue that I did. Approx. 27% of internet users have installed an ad-blocker so I may not be the only one.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks CJ, I'll leave the thread running.

If you have installed adblocker, please consider allowing the UKC adverts for Inglesport, SpanSet, Starless River and Warmbac - all are great companies and so supportive of the forum (thank you!) and indeed caving in general.

...also, you'll be able to 'like' posts  ;)

Cheers, Jane  (y)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
braveduck said:
No like button if you are not logged in .

Simple answer to that  ;) 

Anyone having problems logging in:  https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19485.0

aricooperdavis

I use uBlock Origin but turn it off for sites like UKC that I want to support by seeing their ads. When ads are placed unintrusively, as they are on the forum, they have very little impact on the browsing experience.

Maybe the disappearing like button could be considered an ad-block blocker ;)

Edit: cross-posted with Pegasus but saying essentially the same thing.

AlexR

Same here, I use uBlock Origin (Firefox) but have it disabled for UKcaving, UKclimbing etc.

The ads here are unobtrusive and basically from the places I buy my stuff from anyway.

That being said, I've just switched on my adblocker and I still see the Like button.

CJ

AlexR said:
Same here, I use uBlock Origin (Firefox) but have it disabled for UKcaving, UKclimbing etc.

The ads here are unobtrusive and basically from the places I buy my stuff from anyway.

That being said, I've just switched on my adblocker and I still see the Like button.

From what I can tell, it's just the cosmetic filtering option for uBlock origin instead of the core "ad blocking" function. I've whitelisted UKCaving anyway since they are surprisingly unobtrusive and thankfully relevant.

Attachments

• Ads.PNG
    Ads.PNG
    532.5 KB · Views: 143

royfellows

Now I have always been able to see the like button, regardless of the issues with Google Chronic
:LOL: