Novice' cavers rescued after getting lost near Crickhowell

Wayland Smith

Two inexperienced cavers were stuck underground in one of Britain's longest cave systems for more than 16 hours.
The pair, aged 19 and 30, were reported missing in Ogof Daren Cilau near Crickhowell, Powys, on Saturday.
They had gone in on Friday afternoon and aimed to be out by midnight, but got lost in the maze of passageways and tried to retrace their steps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59957249

PeteHall

From SMWCRT:
Saturday 8th January The Team responded to a Call Out for two cavers who were long overdue after attempting to do the Daren Cilau - Cnwc through trip. They failed to find the Cnwc entrance and retreated back to Daren Cilau. Team Members were deployed underground and on the surface and fortunately the missing cavers were found in the Daren Cilau Entrance Series crawls, cold and wet but otherwise ok. They were brought to the surface to the relief of waiting family members.
https://smwcrt.org/j32/index.php/newsmainmenu/357-new-year-and-new-rescues

The Old Ruminator

Thats odd as this has happened before. I was down Ogof Cnwc recently and the way has been signposted in Busman's Holiday.

Taped route in Busmans Holiday. Ogof Cnwc is just beyond here on the left.

Stuart France

I?m reassured to see the photos above of little holes that old people can still get themselves through - but the problem for young people or anyone the first time in a particular cave is finding the right little hole that leads to the other exit when you are surrounded by big passages.

Getting to the junction with the sign for the Ogof Cnwc exit is quite a complicated route if you have only just arrived at the inner end of the Daren Cilau entrance series.

It?s not just Daren Cilau, there have been people only 50 yards from Top Entrance in OFD2 yet unable to find the way out.  Why?  They kept on choosing to follow the more attractive big passages.

I?m more than happy to put novices in touch with experienced cavers who can teach them correct route underground and then there will be no future mistakes.  Contact me via the Cambrian Caving Council website.

Another useful approach is to join a caving club or to use an instructor.  There are lists of these and lot of other useful content at newtocaving.com, and the BCA website british-caving.org.uk is also an excellent resource.

By joining a caving club people who are new to caving will get access to free caving equipment, organised group activities, and they will meet others who are experienced cavers willing to share their knowledge, and it?s a chance to make new like-minded friends.