Aygill Caverns

adamski555

i am thinking about going down Aygill caverns next week,any one been down recently.The description in northern caves 3 looks complex but in selected caves of britain it is much shorter.Any info would be great.

seddon

The top of the pots will get you there, with a bit of imagination. Basically, it's all really close together; you'll find the way to the sump soon enough with a copy of the description with you - and without, you'll find lots of other bits too.

Please note that, while I've no idea how it responds to rainfall (ask someone in the RRCPC?); I'm pretty sure that the Cascades below the second pitch would be very sporting in high water. The Wet Crawl before the sump also has a bad feeling if the water was rising. Take care and play nice...

smollett

I went down the other week. It's fairly straight forward to get to the main stream down the two pitches, although to get to the first pitch you need to climb up through a hole up on the left hand side (quite polished) rather than going down into the small boulder chamber. I think there is an obscure way down to the bottom through the boulder choke but it bypasses the pitches and is probably tightish and involves a bit of climbing. there is a rigging guide here: http://www.braemoor.co.uk/cavingtrip/aygillrg.shtml
The first pitch was already rigged when we went down although we put our own rope in anyway.
The cave starts to get really interesting once you get down the cascades and there are loads of passages to have a poke around.

In terms of flooding. Yes it does and i wouldn't go down it in weather such as what we've been having recently. If there is any water running down the valley past the dam at the entrance i definately would not go down it. I have only done it in settled conditions so don't know how quickly it floods.