Maps

T pot 2

Anyone point me in the direction of an 1950s ordanance survey map (or earlier) of the moss rake, castleton area south of mam tor.

AR

There's a big time-gap in the large scale (25" to the mile) or equivalent, after 1922 I don't think they were resurveyed until the 1970s. The 6" to the mile maps were redone in the early 1950s.

The NLS site is the best place to find older large-scale maps, but if you really do need to look at the 1970s resurvey I think Buxton Library may have some, or the Record Office at Matlock, though you have to book in advance now due to covid restrictions.

pwhole

oldmaps.co.uk has 1923 and 1955 at 10,000 scale, but sadly the 1938 one is incomplete at both this scale and 2,500, so isn't there. They may ask you to register - can't remember if I ever did but I can see most stuff on there:

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/415500/382500/10/101061

Also tons of maps on the AditNow document library - Dickie Bird posted loads of barmaster's maps up there years ago and I've got the Bradwell one here from 1898 and the Peak Forest one, which abuts it - has all of Moss Rake on with all your favourite mines listed. Let me know what you're after and I'm sure I can dig it out.

Got an enormous folder of paper maps and surveys of this area too, some going back to ye olden tymes - like SUSS in 1968. Seriously though, one or two are so old they probably have witches' houses listed ;)

pwhole

That's a funny one to be sure - still no idea who made that one. I can post it now if you like? ;)

Pitlamp

Boy Engineer said:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/114586586

1922. Nothing later at this scale on the NLS site for this sheet.

Can't resist old maps like this, so had to have a look!

Just noticed Moorbrook View labelled, just to the west of the Smalldale Head Road. I think that's where the late Monty Grainger used to live. I remember a bunch of us going to visit him once, many years ago. To say he was "a character" wouldn't do him justice.

Pitlamp

Pitlamp said:
Boy Engineer said:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/114586586

1922. Nothing later at this scale on the NLS site for this sheet.

Can't resist old maps like this, so had to have a look!

Just noticed Moorbrook View labelled, just to the west of the Smalldale Head Road. I think that's where the late Monty Grainger used to live. I remember a bunch of us going to visit him once, many years ago. To say he was "a character" wouldn't do him justice.

Make that EAST of the Smalldale Head Road. (Sorry, having a hectic day and brain's obviously dysfunctional.)

AR

The NLS site is a brilliant resource; I don't know about coverage for other areas of the country but they've got all of the second and third edition 25" maps for the Peak (1898 and 1922), and some of the first edition of 1879, not all sadly.

T pot 2

Each of the sites that folk have given links to bring my browser to a halt (unsafe site comes up) even if I change my security settings I still have no download or viewing option.
It looks like a visit to central records is the way forward.
Has anyone a paper copy of the map?

pwhole

Hmm - that's weird - I'm protected from most unsafe sites, but it's never flagged Old Maps or NLS up as dodgy.

Anyway, I'd gone out earlier when Al posted that, so a bit late, but here you go - two old maps of Castleton and Bradwell areas, with most veins marked in colour and about a million shafts marked too. We found them in the Chapel library but no idea who did them, and published them in TSG 19. The cement quarry hadn't yet got going, which suggests early 1920s, but then Nettle Pot's drawn on, so maybe they just had an old map handy.

Anyway, enjoy ;)

Attachments

• A3_Insert_OldMaps2_1.jpg
    A3_Insert_OldMaps2_1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 192
  • A3_Insert_OldMaps2_2.jpg
    A3_Insert_OldMaps2_2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 176

alastairgott

there is a higher Res version, PM me with your email if you need it. The original is held in the club Library and there is quite a High Res version in the latest TSG journal, to essentially save the original for posterity.

Darn it PW, you beat me by seconds, its going up anyways!! :tease:

Attachments

• scans of old bradwell and castleton maps.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 112

pwhole

alastairgott said:
there is a higher Res version, PM me with your email if you need it. The original is held in the club Library and there is quite a High Res version in the latest TSG journal, to essentially save the original for posterity.

Darn it PW, you beat me by seconds, its going up anyways!! :tease:

God, if you've got higher-res than that you'll fall down those bloody shafts.