Norwegian through trip on radio

Fjell

Can?t work it out. But if you ever want something different, go and do Raggejavreraige. 600m deep through trip. Try not to fall over...

Attachments

• FDEC8E26-C8F9-48BA-9363-88A3AC52FF45.jpeg
    FDEC8E26-C8F9-48BA-9363-88A3AC52FF45.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 167

Jenny P

Norway is a brilliant place to go caving, particularly the far north of the country.  A bonus is the spectacular scenery and extremely friendly people who all seem to speak perfect English.

My club did Raggejavreaige a few years ago and even getting to the bottom of the hill where the entrance is was quite an epic with a ferry journey up the Fjord.  We camped outside the local school in the village and we were kindly allowed to use the school sports facilities and kitchen as it was during the summer holidays.  It's a stiff 1000m climb up to the top of the mountain above the village to find the entrance.  If you do the through trip you have to organise a local boat to collect you from the lower entrance as you end up perched on the side of a cliff above deep water.  (The resurgence for the cave is actually below water in the fjord.)

I'd love to know exactly where the trip described in the broadcast was but I couldn't work it out as the pronunciation of local words is quite tricky.

Fjell

Most are in the north. The only through trip I have done further south is Trollkirka between Molde and Kristiansund, and that is no epic. My kids did it as toddlers. Including the ladder.

Walking up the bloody hill to Raggejavreaige with all the rope in caving gear is the hardest bit for sure. It?s the bit I remember best, especially as I did on my own the first time to find it and ended up wading along the shore in the dark to get back to the village. The Sami are nice people and live a very different life to other people. Very sort of dreamy.