BCA Training Opportunities

BCA Chair

I think everyone knows that training forms a big part of the BCA, with our training being divided into the Training Committee (typically focusing on training for recreational cavers) and the QMC (Qualifications Management Committee) focused mainly on instructed caving training and qualifications. Training is the area of the BCA I know the least about and one that I am looking forward to learning more about over the coming years.

I also think everyone knows that the BCA Training Committee put on a program of courses and workshops each year for BCA members.

However, I wonder whether these training courses have received the publicity they deserve, or whether there are some misunderstandings about them? At the recent BCA Council meeting, a list of workshops and training sessions for the coming year was passed around, and I was absolutely astonished by how much was happening, the diversity of the training on offer and the excellent opportunities available for our members.

Maybe I have been rubbish at making myself aware of these (probably)... Or maybe the BCA needs to shout about these more?

Either way, as of last night a list of all upcoming training workshops and courses are now available on the BCA website:

https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=training:training_workshops

These are predominantly focused towards recreational cavers, and cover SRT, rescue, rigging, first aid, navigation, geology, science, mine exploration, photography, amongst others, with sessions available for all abilities. These are a great chance to improve some of your skills or to learn more about an aspect of caving that perhaps you haven't yet explored. I was taken aback by how much was going on here and really felt that cavers need to be made more aware of the work of our Training Committee in putting these opportunities together.

For all sessions, just email training@british-caving.org.uk for more information or to book yourself a place.

Matt Ewles
BCA Secretary

Ian Ball

SRT Rigging workshop - Derbyshire

Saturday November 2nd 2019

SRT Training course - Derbyshire

Tuesday & Wednesday November 5th & 6th 2019

All things SRT (Intermediate) workshop - Derbyshire

Saturday November 16th 2019

Weather and Flooding Workshop - Derbyshire

Saturday November 23rd 2019

Ropework for Cavers Workshop - Derbyshire

Saturday November 23rd 2019

SRT Self Rescue workshop - Derbyshire

Saturday November 30th 2019

Mine Exploration Workshop for cavers - Nenthead

Saturday December 7th 2019

SRT Intro workshop - Derbyshire

Saturday December 7th 2019

Surface Navigation Workshop - Derbyshire

Sunday December 29th 2019

Tyrolean Training Workshop - Derbyshire

Sunday December 15th 2019

Cavers First Aid Workshop - Derbyshire.

Sunday January 19th 2020

Mine Exploration Workshop for cavers - Derbyshire

Saturday February 1st 2020

Ropework for Cavers Workshop - Derbyshire

Sunday February 2nd 2020

Underground Navigation Workshop - Yorkshire Dales

Friday February 7th 2020

Cave Formation and Development workshop - Yorkshire Dales- EVENING TRIP

Friday February 7th 2020

All things SRT (Intermediate) workshop - Yorkshire Dales

Saturday February 8th 2020

SRT Rigging Workshop - Yorkshire Dales

Sunday February 9th 2020

SRT Training course - Derbyshire

Saturday & Sunday February 15th & 16th 2020

Cave Geology workshop - Derbyshire

Sunday February 16th 2019

SRT Rigging Course - Derbyshire

Sat & Sun February 22nd & 23rd 2020

SRT Rigging Course - Derbyshire

Sat & Sun February 22nd & 23rd 2020

All things SRT (Intermediate) workshop - Mendip

Saturday February 29th 2020

Cave Photography Workshop - Derbyshire

Sunday March 1st 2020

JJM

BCA Secretary said:
Maybe I have been rubbish at making myself aware of these (probably)... Or maybe the BCA needs to shout about these more?

I have certainly been in the "know they happen, but never seen any specific info" group for many years. Thanks a lot for making the list available both here and via the email and (especially) on facebook.
And even bigger thanks for organising the one token course on Mendip - we now have a sizeable Reading Uni contingent booked on that one.
And of course thanks BCA for part-funding those!