Deafing silence on the BCA ballot

Dave Tyson

Hmmm. Ballot closed at midnight yesterday. It's now 21 hours later. No sign of any white or black smoke on the BCA website so are the 6000 votes still being counted or is there a problem?

Dave

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
As I understand it the vote counting is very quick.  With only the few postal votes taking a little time.  I expect those charged as returning officers have to check things through and pass on the results to the exec.  It may be that over the weekend some have other duties to perform which may slow things down a bit.  Council members have been told that we will get to hear the result shortly before it goes public.  Nothing yet, but to be honest I wouldn't expect an announcement over the weekend.  We'll see.

Ian Ball

BCA Secretary said:
Last day folks; BCA ballot closes at 11:59pm tonight!

Although the results will be available more or less immediately (thanks to the excellent electronic system which will automatically generate results once the ballot closes) we hope to be in a position to announce them early next week once any postal votes received this week have been added (I understand the number of postal returns has been extremely small).

If you haven't used your vote yet then please do so today (too late now for postal returns but the electronic system will remain live until 11:59)!

Deafening?

Katie

Been caving today and just in from cave rescue-ing this evening/ morning.
Think the remaining few postal ballots will have to wait till Monday to be processed ;-)

79794413_10102824658094942_280640954191314944_n.jpg

BCA Chair

Dave, the ballot finished at 23:59pm on Friday.

Please remember most people in BCA are volunteers and don't work 24-7. I already give about 8-10 hours per week to the role but I do like to keep my weekends for the more fun side of caving... i.e. the underground bit  :)

The results will be announced in the next few days, just a few postal ballots to add on and a statement from our Returning Officer to put together.

GarDouth

Administrator
Dave Tyson said:
Hmmm. Ballot closed at midnight yesterday. It's now 21 hours later. No sign of any white or black smoke on the BCA website so are the 6000 votes still being counted or is there a problem?

Dave

Perhaps Dave, if you'd like things to move swifter you'd like to take up one of the vacant volunteer roles in BCA and give up some of your time to help. You will find all you need to get involved here: https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=vacancies

NewStuff

While I think Dave may have underestimated the amount of work, be aware he's already given up significant amounts of his time with the CCC and Cave Access, and no doubt other places and organisations I am unaware of.

Dave Tyson

I apologise. I had assumed most of the votes would be online and so the computer would tally them and there would only be a 100 or so paper votes - this is clearly not the case.

As newstuff points out I did 3.5 years as CCC secretary and 4 years as newsletter editor and still do the day-day administration of the CAL agreement. I have to write the end of year report for NRW in a week or so.

I was out on a wet and windy Tuesday this week taking photographs and surveying Cwm Cynfal Copper Mine so I could write an 8 page report to submit to the Snowdonia National Parks authority in opposition to a hydro scheme which would probably destroy some of it and make the adit inaccessible.

So I will pass on a BCA post for a little while yet, but would not rule out applying in late 2020  ;)

Dave

Graigwen

Dave Tyson said:
I was out on a wet and windy Tuesday this week taking photographs and surveying Cwm Cynfal Copper Mine so I could write an 8 page report to submit to the Snowdonia National Parks authority in opposition to a hydro scheme which would probably destroy some of it and make the adit inaccessible....

Dave

As the mine is well downstream from the abstraction point is it the pipe that threatens the mine?

(I have happy memories of surveying Cwm Cynfal as a Cu/Pb/Zn prospect almost half a century ago. The proposed level of abstraction would, I think, diminish the amenity value of the falls. It is a beautiful little area.)

Dave Tyson

Graigwen said:
As the mine is well downstream from the abstraction point is it the pipe that threatens the mine?

(I have happy memories of surveying Cwm Cynfal as a Cu/Pb/Zn prospect almost half a century ago. The proposed level of abstraction would, I think, diminish the amenity value of the falls. It is a beautiful little area.)

Yes, it's the pipeline and roadway which would be very close to the line of the vein and would pass over some of the area which was worked. There have been changes since the description by Bick and some collapses have meant that the accessible bits are a lot smaller. Interestingly the archaeological survey which was commissioned as part of the application said that most of the surface stuff was quarry and just mentioned a small rectangular pit as a possible site of the mine. They missed the glaringly obvious adit and spoil trail down to the river - probably deliberately. The resident bats weren't mentioned in the biological survey either... Looks like an attempt at a stitch up, but WMS and NAMHO have also objected. I would interested in any details you can recall to compare the changes that have taken place - please PM me if you have any useful info

Dave

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=start#bca-ballot-2019-results

and

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=25865.msg316461;topicseen#new

;)