Sallet Hole mine

Gritstone

Went into Sallet Hole today for a Potter around with a friend. Since I was in about 12 months ago there have been some huge movements and collapses some that have deformed the ringsets and by the looks of it there is plenty more due to come down. I recon the timbers have reached the age where they can no longer support the load above. If anyone is planning on going in be very aware of the worsening state in there.

tomferry

It should have a sign at the entrance if I remember correctly warning you about this recent movement and telling you not to enter

Fishes

Its probably best if the name of this place isn't used on a public forum, Raising its profile on a public forum in this way could get it permanently sealed.

pwhole

Indeed - the general consensus is that the place is screwed, but bringing it up on here isn't likely to help matters. Mods, can the title at least be changed please?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
[gmod]Hi all. On a previous thread I changed the name of this mine as requested. I then found the mine on display across the internet with videos, reports, mentions etc - all in the public domain and easily found by a search engine. I am failing to see what the point is of changing or removing the thread on this forum. Especially as this particular thread is a warning and seems to be valid to me. Contact the mod group via reported post if you want to put a stronger case forward. Many thanks for caring though. Cheers [/gmod]

droid

Maybe the best thing is to leave the decision to someone familiar with the situation in Derbyshire.

alastairgott

Well I?m sure the mine will make the ultimate decision to implode on itself and turn into a whale or into a bowl of petunias.

droid

alastairgott said:
Well I?m sure the mine will make the ultimate decision to implode on itself and turn into a whale or into a bowl of petunias.

Aaaah. The dreaded Infinite Improbability Drive... :LOL:

RobinGriffiths

And wow! Hey! What?s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like ? ow ? ound ? round ? ground! That?s it! That?s a good name ? ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

paul

droid said:
Maybe the best thing is to leave the decision to someone familiar with the situation in Derbyshire.

[gmod]The Moderators do confer on such issues and some are Peak-based. If the post was about a random trip to the mine it would be treated differently form what is basically a reasonable warning about a mine whose location is already freely available elsewhere.[/gmod]

tomferry

Completely agree with the above many people now days are getting into mine exploring who have not got a lot of experience,  with aditnow being absent people are obviously going to be looking into this forum instead  as they have been re routed this way , sallet hole mines are on the internet everywhere I would prefer this warning to say on here so people realise it?s a dangerous place and if they wish to mine explore their welcome to ask for advice on good places to go  (y)

I do agree that it would be best not known about but it?s far to late for that .

Pitlamp

Down and beyond said:
  with aditnow being absent people are obviously going to be looking into this forum instead

I've seldom used Adit Now so hadn't realised this. Anyone know what's the problem with it?

tomferry

It?s undergoing a large re build so the whole of the  forum part of it and a large majority of the photos are out of use , uk caving has kindly offered us ? aditnow members ? a temporary forum to use .  (y)

pwhole

There's a few other things happened over the last ten years or so that have seriously wrecked any chances of 'gentlemens agreements' on this place, and not all safety-related. The first few times I went in there was a key kept under a rock, that's how chilled it was. No chance of that now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if cameras had now been quietly installed. Remember the mine is not 'abandoned', just closed, and the owners run a large mineral processing plant only a mile away, and are also obviously still running an active mine two more miles away. Also there are water issues and a whole load of other potential problems from the collapsing volcanics and fractured rock- rescues from there would be newsworthy to say the least, especially if they're not even wearing helmets, like the chumps I saw on the web last night.

tomferry

A lot more to it clearly than I am aware of ! I no has been major issues on going but not being local you don?t stay up to speed with it all .

ILT

The warning on here with the name is almost certainly aimed at the more sensible enthusiasts. These people will normally do a reasonable risk assessment (I don't mean some lengthy written tone, just what we all do mentally before enterring caves & mines).
The people who perhaps really need to heed the warning almost certainly don't look on here (and not many would have looked at aditnow either I suspect) as they are mostly not aware of bulletin boards like this and judging by material I've seen rarely do any research about places they visit. These people with their energy drinks, phone torch and roll-ups rely on goontube and farceblog for their tour itinerary.
Obvuously there is some crossover (such as Down and Beyond) but they seem to post more to semi-serious bulletin boards such as 28dayslater rather than goontube or derelict places.

The actions of these more foolhardy 'teams' will almost certainly result in accidents, thefts, damage and loss of access but the stable door to that was left open a long time ago by the internet.

Rob

Yes a few parts of the place were certainly showing very recent collapse this time last year. We still managed to get everywhere, but only just. It would be a shame if access through this section was lost as it's very impressive beyond.

Attachments

• Sallet1.jpg
    Sallet1.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Sallet2.jpg
    Sallet2.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 183