Eldon Hole fence

Gritstone

Went into Eldon Hole last night and found the perimeter fence had been cut open and sheep shite was inside the enclosure. Fortunately no sheep had base jumped in but I'm pretty sure the farmer wouldn't take kindly to his livestock meeting an untimely end due to someone's stupidity. I made a temperary fix to it before we dropped in.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_170348.jpg
    IMG_20210715_170348.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,531

pwhole

That's worrying - I can't work out why anyone would need to do that to gain access when there's a stile.

Gritstone

Thanks, that's why I always carry my Dewalt multitool when I go caving.
I couldn't think why anyone would need to do that either fortunately with there being two of us we were able to pull enough slack to join it back up.

Mark

I don't think this was deliberate, it looks more like the Gripples (the oblong things) which are used to join two lengths of fence together, have failed.

Gritstone

I'd like it to be true but it was clean cut all the way down even where there wasn't a crimp. It was a definate act carried out for a purpose.

bograt

I'm with Mark on this one, the gripples have failed, if it had been cut there would be two ends showing through the joiner, I can only see one. Considering the epic activity up there recently, a badly joined fence is likely to have given way if stressed wrongly. Nice job with the repair  (y) (y)

Gritstone

Looking at it again you're probably right, I'll pop up and mention it to the farmer so he can do a proper repair if he sees it nessecery.

Pete K

As one of the last to leave the site after the recent exercise I can say there were no gaps in the fence where we were set up when we left. Chances are that someone leaning on it stressed it and it popped somewhere up or downhill from where we were operating. I'll pass this on to the DCA Access Officer so it can get sorted. The farm on the lane is not the right one for the land up here. Cheers for the temp fix, always worth pinging this info direct to DCA on the website 'issue reporting' form: https://www.thedca.org.uk/conservation-access/issue-reporting

Gritstone

After a bit of research I found out that lead alloys expand more than steel when heated. It makes sense then that the hot weather might have caused the joints to fail and the tension in the system did the rest. Sorry for jumping the gun but hopefully as a result a more suitable fix can be found.

Pete K

We've got a man on it at DCA and will sort a more permanent fix with new grips asap but your efforts look pretty solid and I'm sure it'll stay secure for a few more days until we get it sorted. Thanks for flagging it up and well done for spotting it.
Pete K
DCA Projects Officer

ANN

Me and the man went out today and replaced the old gripples with new ones!

Attachments

• Eldon before.jpg
    Eldon before.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • Eldon After.jpg
    Eldon After.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 138

ANN

If you go to Eldon can you check that the repair is still okay?  Any problems please report to https://www.thedca.org.uk/conservation-access/issue-reporting
Regards DCA Access Officer