Best PDA for DistoX

Rob

Just wondered what people are using with their DistoX (or X2) and what other people think.

I currently use the Eldon's HP iPaq (2495?) in an Otter Box 1900, which makes it end up looking like this:
41qYKcPqRRL.jpg

It makes it quite a large product, certainly not something you'd put in an internal oversuit pocket. The screen films needs replacing every few years, and to replace the case can be expensive (?60-100). It is however very robust, managing to remain in Eldon use for +4 years, and has not yet leaked any water on any trip...  (y)

Only other thread i can see is from 2009 (http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=8645.0), so hopefully there should be better options available now, especially fully waterproof devices.

graham

The problem with PDAs is that they are old tech and we have broken quite a few of them over the past few years.

We (UBSS) have experimented with a small Windows tablet. The problem was finding one with a suitable screen for use with a stylus and then finding a suitable waterproof & robust box for it.

I'll check out which tablet it was we have used - don't have the details to hand, sorry - but we have yet to find a decent robust case. If anyone knows of a robust otter box type case for an 8" or 7" tablet please let me know.

John S

I think it will  be a couple of years yet before android tablets become preferable to PDA's. A good PDA can be picked up for ?20, some makes are not rugged enough but I have been using a Loox N560 repackaged into a semi rugged case for a few year now, and considering how much they have done, my first problem only arose last year after I had crawled over it and squashed it in a squeeze by mistake. Try Loox EDA PDA education version at about ?20 on ebay or if you can find it the rugged version, Fujitsu Siemens RPDA N560 Pocket Loox GPS Pocket PC, it could be worth it as you will not need a case, about ?30.

Both of these, can have increased battery size and made them more waterproof, so I dont use them with a case. I do have a case if I am going somewhere very wet.

Will be down on the Mendip Cave Surveying course at the end of the month, if you want a look and compare with other PDA's etc.

Rob

John, thanks for your advice. The RPDA N560 looks good, although a quick browse online doesn't reveal any available 2nd hand at the mo. I'll keep my eye's out for one.....

Any other alternatives people know of?

badger

I use a dell axim x51v, inside an aqua pac cover, which I stuff inside a BDH to transport underground,

cavermark

I use a Dell AXIM X51v (I actually have 2 units now - can use the spare battery and have a back up unit on exped now) - seems to come up often on ebay for ?20 ish. I think the V stands for VGA - that's the better resolution. Pocket Topo looks a bit blocky with lower resolutions (earlier versions of Windows mobile etc.)

The cheap price means I'm fairly happy using it in a sturdy waterproof bag until I can find an otterbox equivalent (maybe not in some of your Peak District environs though, Rob).

Not sure if I can justify splashing out on something like the Trimble Recon (although one argument is that it's cheaper than a digi SLR camera and surveys are more use than photos  ;) )

2xw

SUSS uses a Dell AXIM as well I think. I can't comment on how rugged it is because I carry it in several layers of foam in a darren drum. (Terrified of breaking club kit...)