Descender for Long Drops

vpi451

Greetings from the USA! Does anybody have any experience using non-rack descenders for drops over 150m? I wouldn't be too keen on doing a drop of that size on my Simple or Stop. I've recently discovered the Troll Allp Pro Tech and the SAR A&B descenders which look promising, but very little is written about them.

Joe90

I have done quite a lot of long drops, and I don't just mean the nasty festival loos.

I would suggest either the Petzl ID, it's capable of what you want and handles very nicely too whilst being versatile enough to have plenty of uses. Or if you want a device a little lighter with a few less of the safety features but similar performance then the Petzl Rig is probably the best way to go.

I have both and tend to use the ID for a lot of rigging and hauling / in the rescue bag. It's also what I give to people with more limited experience due to the added safety bits. I tend to use it RIG for myself.

Hope that helps a little.

Joe

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

Alex

Getting towards 100m on a stop can be a scary experience, they are only rated to a max of 100m. I assume your 150m drop cannot be split up by re-belays?

langcliffe

Alex said:
Getting towards 100m on a stop can be a scary experience, they are only rated to a max of 100m. I assume your 150m drop cannot be split up by re-belays?

I thought that the 100 metres maximum was only associated with the Stop's use in rescue evacuation?

Mark Wright

EN341A is the rescue descender standard the Stop conforms to and the 100m maximum relates to it getting too hot if you descend at a constant descent rate of 1m / second which the standard specifies.

Before the introduction into industry of the ID and Rig descenders, the rope access Industry never reported any problems with using Stops on considerably longer drops than 100m. I?ve used Stops on +300m drops without any issues other than hand cramp.

Mark

langcliffe

Mark Wright said:
EN341A is the rescue descender standard the Stop conforms to and the 100m maximum relates to it getting too hot if you descend at a constant descent rate of 1m / second which the standard specifies.

Thanks for clarifying - I thought that it was something like that.

vpi451

Hey Kenilworth, have we met? I'm trying to see if there is a device that can replace a rack for long drops in the USA, including Fantastic Pit in Ellison's and Surprise in Fern. Maybe the big pits in Mexico, but that seems a long shot.

How fast can you rappel on the Petzl Rig? I'm accustomed to the adjustability of racks, and I'm hoping to find a device that can give a similar experience.

Joe90

It goes into 'fast mode' if you pull the handle down fully, release the dead rope from your hand and place said hand on your helmet.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk

tamarmole

Is there any reason why you don't want to use a rack?  After all long un - rebelayed drops are what racks do best.

PeteHall

I have previously used a "whale tail" descender. It was very smooth for a long drop and has the adjustability of a rack. Being a large lump of aluminium, it also has excellent heat dissipation.

I believe it is Australian, but no idea where you would get one...

Kenilworth

vpi451 said:
I'm trying to see if there is a device that can replace a rack for long drops in the USA, including Fantastic Pit in Ellison's and Surprise in Fern. Maybe the big pits in Mexico, but that seems a long shot.

Why?