Ladders

Wolfart

Just inquirng does anyone know the lifespan of an electron ladder?
This was discussed at our committe meeting as ours have been in the club since 1992 and they are still in good order,no rust and swaged ends by the rungs are still in place

Les W

Wolfart said:
Just inquirng does anyone know the lifespan of an electron ladder?
This was discussed at our committe meeting as ours have been in the club since 1992 and they are still in good order,no rust and swaged ends by the rungs are still in place

So it's longer than 16 years then...

whitelackington

nickwilliams said:
whitelackington said:
Twenty years
would be a good time to replace them,

Have you got any rational engineering basis whatsoever for this statement?
40 years of caving,
being in charge of retiring ladders and buying new ones.
All our equipment is recorded in a tackle history book,
when and where purchased, every time it is taken out of the tackle shed, its removal and return is recorded,
any defect or incident is recorded in the book and reported to the tacklemaster.

nickwilliams

So, we'll be seeing an article which provides a summary of the data and an explanation of your conclusions based on that data appearing in Caves and Karst Science shortly then, will we?

Bob Smith

WL, perhaps you should specify the inspection regime that you use, (broken wire inspection techniques, galvanic corrosion inspection etc.) This is a pretty grey topic as it doesn't take into consideration quality of build or materials used, use and abuse etc. IIRC in an earlier someone (Bob Mehew perhaps?) mentioned the possibilty of an approved inspection course for such things. (In only 15 years of caving i have seen at least 5 ladders fail that were less than 5 years old!)

I've always worked on the principle that other peoples ladders and club ladders should be retired immediately they show any signs of wear - in the hope that I can offer to take them off their hands for the price of a drink or fish them out of the bin etc...Whereas my own personal ladders can carry on until they snap!

Christian_Chourot

Can't we just expect any ladder to fail at any time and and just replace ladders when they fail, look obviously worn/dodgy or can afford to replace them? They're not safety critical pieces of kit since climbers should always be (and yes, mine always are) lifelined, so I don't see the same issues for ladders as I do for rope. Granted, being on a failing ladder can't be nice but I simply expect a ladder to be able to break on day one and make sure I use a lifeline.

Simple I think but who knows, maybe I'll readjust my thoughts when a ladder I'm on fails and I poo myself. :LOL:

Are people who are more preoccupied about ladder life more likely to be using them unlifelined, or do they just not want to be on a ladder that fails?

graham

New ladders fail, just ask Cap'n Chris.

(N.B. He wasn't hurt, except in the wallet, but Dr Boycott's undersuit went an interesting shade of brown.)

martinr

whitelackington said:
nickwilliams said:
whitelackington said:
Twenty years
would be a good time to replace them,

Have you got any rational engineering basis whatsoever for this statement?
40 years of caving,
being in charge of retiring ladders and buying new ones.
All our equipment is recorded in a tackle history book,
when and where purchased, every time it is taken out of the tackle shed, its removal and return is recorded,
any defect or incident is recorded in the book and reported to the tacklemaster.

For clarity: I dont think WL is refering to MCG ladders, he must be refering to one of his other clubs?

I have been in MCG since 1979. I can not recall MCG ever retiring a ladder, so some MCG ladders will be over 30 years old. They are still servicable.

Peter Burgess

Is there a culture of

"I don't want to have to think about whether my ladders are OK so just tell me when I should throw them away".

instead of

"Let's use common sense, check the ladders carefully on a regular basis and use my own judgement".

Please introduce yourself to me if you are of the former persuasion as I will be happy to remove the responsibility of ownership from you.

cap n chris

Since everyone will always be using a lifeline with their ladder, there's no problem in using them until they fail!

Graham is correct. I had a (purchased new) ladder fail after just over a year - in fact it was still shiny and new-looking on the day it snapped mid-way on one side.

anfieldman

cap 'n chris said:
Since everyone will always be using a lifeline with their ladder, there's no problem in using them until they fail!

Graham is correct. I had a (purchased new) ladder fail after just over a year - in fact it was still shiny and new-looking on the day it snapped mid-way on one side.

Chris,

Was this before you became the new svelte Cap'n Chris??  :)

damian

cap 'n chris said:

The only problem with this being that you are then potentially all stuck at the bottom of a ladder pitch without a ladder hanging down. This is fine so long as you can then get yourselves back up again. I imagine most people could manage but, if not, it could be a long, cold wait  ...

Despite this, I agree completely ... so long as you can hang two people from a ladder without it looking likely to snap, I'm happy to keep using it.

cap n chris

anfieldman said:
cap 'n chris said:

Chris,

I wasn't on it at the time. Dr. B was. Is there something you're trying to say?

anfieldman

cap 'n chris said:
anfieldman said:
cap 'n chris said:

Chris,

I wasn't on it at the time. Dr. B was. Is there something you're trying to say?

Moi?  :halo:

Wolfart

Many thanks for all your replies serious or amusing :-\
We allways lifeline on ladders (even if i hate having a rope on me) so its cary on regardless then  AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh thud