Flying Mountain Rescue

mak

Whilst it may work underground - I assume it kicks out a significant amount of exhaust fumes - so GG is probably one of the few places you may want to use it!

PeteHall

Have you seen the physical training regime needed to control one of these things? Unless you are a top gymnast I imagine using one of these anywhere near a hard surface would be pretty dangerous  :eek:

mikem

& the suit costs about the same as a small helicopter (?340,000). It also won't be sensible to use in wind conditions that the helicopter will cope with.

Ed

Its Air Ambulance not MR

Still going to be the job of volunteers to hump kit up the hill and carry the casualty down - plus no doubt there is an expectation of MR also carry the used flying kit down to......

Fishes

I would be quite happy if they could focus on getting ambulances out to houses in the Peak District first. That's been a significant problem over the last few years. I can only imagine that the situation have got worse during the current circumstances.

I know some MR teams have also had problems getting ambulances.

Ed W

Saw this guy and a mate do a flying demo in Salisbury last year - the demo ended with his mate having a fairly spectacular accident.  It is also effing loud.

Although interesting, I think that there is more than a hint of publicity hunting going on here.  I am far from convinced that this is practical.  In the video the (can we call him a pilot?) doesn't seem to be carrying any equipment, it would be interesting to know what payload can actually be carried.  As I understand it endurance is measured in a few minutes and I would be amazed if this technique would be viable in adverse weather - poor visibility, wind and precipitation would all be significant issues.

Additional to the cost of the kit would be the training overhead required to keep the paramedics up to speed with their flying.

ILT

Doesn't show how he navigated to the corner of the 100m grid square to begin his actual search of that for the casualty (who luckily managed to fall a long way from the cliff  and thus into the open space required to operate the jet pack).

ILT

mikem said:
Ambulance service use what 3 words (their controllers can't cope with grid refs)

I was referring to the publicity video where the location is given as a six figure OSGB reference.

However, ambulance service use postcode for basic area along with full numerical OSGB co-ordinates on their MDTs throughout the NWAS area

darren

https://www.nwas.nhs.uk/news/knowexactlywhere-in-an-emergency-with-what3words/

Is it this NWAS you are referring to?  ;)

ILT

darren said:
https://www.nwas.nhs.uk/news/knowexactlywhere-in-an-emergency-with-what3words/

Is it this NWAS you are referring to?  ;)

Yes. They ask the public to use what three words as that is simpler for none map savvy people to pass over the phone. For operational use it's still postcode/OSGB co-ordinates.

For instance:
12:12:36
INC 12345678
29B03X
About 300 yards before junction xx, Junction xx to xx xbound, Mx CAxx xXX
Unknown
Unknown Y
Car on fire on hard shoulder
GRD eeeeee nnnnnn

(real incident number and details that would specifically identify this live call removed)

FRS messages within North West Fire Control area are somewhat similar and also use postcode/full numerical OSGB co-ordinates.

paul

The week before last I was walking in the Borrowdale area and on two consecutive days we saw the Great North Air Ambulance helicopter flying back and forth and up and down various crags nearby for quite a while.

At first we thought it was some sort of tourist helicopter having a look around Borrowdale but it turned out to the Great North Air Ambulance helicopter looking for the casualty needing help each time as there wasn't and exact location. E;g; on the second day a walker fell backwards on Base Brown and fell around 50m down a slope out of site. The incident was reported by others nearby who witnessed the fall but weren't able to give a precise location. We saw members of the Keswick MRT making their way up Sour Milk Gill to attend.

I would imagine that the jetpack's flying range and time would have meant it not being able to get the paramedic on site quickly enough in such cases. Though it would probably speed things up greatly if the paramedic could get to the casualty quickly due to their location being known very precisely and being easily visible from the air.