unicycling in caves

LizW1985

Has anyone seen the video of two guys caving with unicycles? Its on cavenews.com sorry dont know how to post the link.

Blakethwaite

Do the cave-gods step in and bring down a huge roof collapse on them by any chance? Them & their juggling/fire-eating/human statueing friends as well...

maxb727

Yes it's pretty good - saw it on Facebook as friends with one of the guys. On my phone so can't post link either

Jopo

Imagine a rescue report.

On 23 June cave rescuers were called to a somewhat unique incident in Big Chamber Near the Entrance. The casualty had a saddle stem (and unicycles have long ones) wedged firmly up his anus and it required the greatest restraint in subduing the smiles as the team figured out how to load him and his wheel into the stretcher. They decided in the end to just go with the flow and leave it in place and just roll the bugger (buggered?) out. He beat the landrover down to Penwyllt and the welcoming crowd of well wishers.
Video (not suitable for minors) from his headcam is available for a small donation.

NigR

This is ridiculous and needs to be nipped in the bud.

And yes, it was in Aggy (which makes it even more ridiculous!).

[gmod]Language/moderated[/gmod]

NigR

Thanks, Liz.

If you (or anyone else from CSS) get the chance to check the Aggy logbook over the weekend it might contain further clues about their trip, e.g. club. (Unless, of course, it was "unofficial" i.e. they just popped down whilst the gate was off recently!)

NigR

graham said:
Oh the irony!

What irony are you referring to?  That artificially restricting access to caves clearly does not work because it does not keep out the ******? Having done a little more research, it now appears that at least one of the participants does indeed belong to a recognised caving club and hence most likely had legitimate access (i.e. key and permit) to the cave.

graham said:
If anybody does send you any information, Nig, what'll you do with it?

What do you think I ought to do with it, Graham? Pass it on to people like you so you can ban them from your caves perhaps?

Rhys

Is underground unicycling a specifically excluded activity under CROW, I'm wondering... ;-)

graham

NigR said:
What do you think I ought to do with it, Graham? Pass it on to people like you so you can ban them from your caves perhaps?

You won't take any notice of what I think one way or another, so that's irrelevant. But surely you will have had an idea in mind otherwise you would not have asked for this information.

So, what would you do with it? Crown them Queen of the May? Beat them about the head with a rusty spanner?

Come on, Nig, why would anybody trust you with these guys' details if they don't know what you intend to do with the information?

NigR

Rhys said:
Is underground unicycling a specifically excluded activity under CROW, I'm wondering... ;-)

So far as I am aware, it is not a specifically excluded activity under any of the access regulations for Aggy or any other cave in South Wales either.

Having watched the video again, it is clear that some of it was filmed in another (supposedly) restricted access cave where keys and permits are required.

System's working well isn't it?

graham said:
Come on, Nig, why would anybody trust you with these guys' details if they don't know what you intend to do with the information?

Graham, I can only assume that you are being deliberately obtuse either purely because you are determined to adopt a stance at variance with my own or that you genuinely believe there is nothing wrong with this.

If the latter, perhaps you would like to put out an open invitation for anyone who would like to take their unicycles underground to do so on Mendip where you can have the satisfaction of letting them use your caves as "an assault course" or "underground playground". As this film was shown at the British Unicycle Convention last weekend (as well as being on several different websites) I am sure you will have plenty of takers.

As for the information I earlier requested, this is no longer required as I have located sufficient myself (isn't the internet wonderful?).

graham

So now that you have this information Nig, what are you going to do with it? Come on, don't be shy.