The UK-wide "guess where?" thread

Peter Burgess

There was a Mendip "Guess where" thread going some time ago. Could we start a UK-wide one here?

redhill_sandcave_mc02.jpg

No prizes as to where this might be, since anyone who can poke about the inner recesses of the image can work it out. But the question is -

How old was the cave when this photo was taken? How was it formed? Has anyone ever seen anything similar elsewhere?

caverholic

Is it Redhill sand stone mine, mined in 1600's to use on churches and other buildings.
Not sure when the pic was taken but from the hair style and clothing I would guess 80's

Peter Burgess

The cave was a few weeks old when photographed, and the entrance had collapsed a week or so later. The cavity may still be there, underground, as recent test borings discovered unexplained cavities somewhere around this point.

I missed out on going into it, but did see the entrance from a distance after it had partly collapsed.

http://www.wcms.org.uk/pages/redhill_sandcave_mar2006.shtml For more exciting details!

I would be interested to hear of any similar examples of these extremely transitory caves!

gus horsley

Peter Burgess said:
I would be interested to hear of any similar examples of these extremely transitory caves!

I once explored a through cave which was formed entirely in peat on the moors above Huddersfield.  It was about 300ft of slippery crawling with a small stream, pebble floor and occasional glimpses of daylight.  After a couple of months or so there was no trace of it except a shallow gully.

Peter Burgess

I remember reading about the peat caves in Descent back in the monochrome era, and I suppose that these are same things. They had an odd name, but I cant recall what it was. Like sludge caves, or something.

Now its someone elses turn to post up a picture to puzzle over.

A

andymorgan

Manor Farm? If it is right someone else can put up a picture!

Peter Burgess

Manor Farm of course! That's Geoffr on the rope. It was someone else till I changed the post for a beter image. Geoff did not have a sex change.

I can't find any images where the image name doesn't give the game away. So someone else can do the honours.

Geoff R

Ha Ha Peter .....
Ive just seen the  "wearing nice new suit and grining for camera" pic    :chair:
Just remember I have a few hundred of YOU and one or two are "better"  :tease:

Peter Burgess

Geoff:

The strange comment I added to my post refers to the first pic I posted which was of Una, but your pic is much better, so I changed it!

Geoff R

OK, next guess, where's this rigging ..... and it doesnt show Peter  ;)

NO CHEATING by looking at the file name  ;)

If you know where - then which pitch ?

rhino_rift_gr050.jpg