"New Pot" near P8 Farm?

Pipster

In mid august I took a trip to P8 and parked in (what was then) the new parking area. Also on site were two council workers who'd been working there and they mentioned to us that while clearing the area that they'd discovered two pots, which where previously hidden underneath the surface; they reckoned the two linked together and were approx 40ft deep. Both have been covered with man-hole covers. They also said that they'd been in touch with "someone" who was going to investigate them.

Well thats two months ago now - has anyone heard anything more?

Sounds interesting! I reckon they're possibly associated with the adjacent Sheepwash Swallet (P2).

Anyone from DCA know about this?

Dan.

Pipster

I reckon they're possibly associated with the adjacent Sheepwash Swallet (P2).

Yeah I seem to remember some comments at the time that there may be a possible connection to another pot - and if a connection existed it could possibly make a short round trip.

Mrs Trellis

More likely they are mine shafts related to workings in Cockshead Mine (iirc) whose main shafts are on the south side of the road. (again iirc)

paul

Mrs Trellis said:
More likely they are mine shafts related to workings in Cockshead Mine (iirc) whose main shafts are on the south side of the road. (again iirc)

They are blind mine shafts - probably trials.

They were not known about until the new car park was made.

Pipster

Thanks for the info Paul.

I've been intrigued ever since the find but hadn't heard anything since. Its a shame they didn't lead to anything more.

Mrs Trellis

Yes it is - but remember t'owd man was first down P8  ;)

Amazing where he got in Derbyshire

Btw - anyone know if he looked at Giant's?

biffa

Surely he must have looked at Giant's - There is the connection through from Oxlow, plus some avens that get close to the surface.  Seem to recall a very drunk conversation in the TSG where someone equally drunk, but beardier and older was saying that there were signs of T'owd man having been in Giants when it was first opened.  He did mention that they were fairly discrete signs and since lost.....

paul

Cave_Troll said:
anyone know if these shafts have been pushed and checked?

Yes. And they only have "normal" manhole covers on them if you want a look! (Unless somebody has parked on top of them...)

seamoose

paul said:
Cave_Troll said:
anyone know if these shafts have been pushed and checked?

Yes. And they only have "normal" manhole covers on them if you want a look! (Unless somebody has parked on top of them...)

I know two others who've also been down them and they said one of the shafts (about 35ft) could be 'easily dug'....