Castleton problems

It looks like Derbyshire County Council, are imposing new parking restrictions in Castleton, which may have a very negative impact on cavers, especially those who use the T.S.G caving club.

2xw

Jim,

I've seen you and Anne linking to this but I can't find anyrhing online. Is there an address to whom we can send objections?

owd git

On a worrying note several thousand bikers protesting and blockading Matlock bath had no effect on the same authority :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
will support you none the less. (y)
O.G.

2xw

Wonder if a bit of expanding foam and an angle grinder would work instead  :tease:  :confused:

Pitlamp

2xw said:
Wonder if a bit of expanding foam and an angle grinder would work instead  :tease:  :confused:

This is absolutely not the way to tackle this potential menace.

There will be some information on the Derbyshire County Council's website, giving details of the proposal - and the only way to influence this decision is to make a formal objection, to be in DCC's hands before Friday 2nd September. You need to write to:

STRATEGIC DIRECTOR - ECONOMY TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATIONS,
DERBYSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL,
COUNTY HALL,
MATLOCK,
DE4 3AG

There is no point sending anything abusive, or accusatory (despite what many of us are probably thinking). You need to list concrete reasons why this proposed parking alteration would create a worse situation than that at present. This has the potential to have a seriously adverse effect on cavers in the UK nationally, not just Peak District cavers. If you don't give proper grounds for your objection DCC will have every justification for filing it under "b".

There is also an email address: netmanadmin@derbyshire.gov.uk

(However, a real letter would probably have more clout.)

There is only a very short time to do your bit, so please, everyone, write a structured letter to object.

This is the thin end of a very nasty wedge and you might like to ask yourself where will be next, if it's not nipped in the bud.

Go on - JUST DO IT!

2xw

It would be useful to have a proper list of what is potentially occuring - I searched "castleton parking" and also just "castleton" on the DCC website and found nowt.

A link to the full list of the proposals would be good and what exactly is going to happen. Read different things on UKC and Facebook

Mark

Links to proposals

http://www.castletonvillage.co.uk/Z3136%20Proposed%20Traffic%20Regulation%20Order%20-%20Castleton.pdf

http://www.castletonvillage.co.uk/Castleton_HMT274%20%20final%20F%20.pdf

Also the following info

Castleton Parish Council

NOTICE OF EXTRAORDINARY MEETING: THURSDAY 25th AUGUST 2016, 7PM at CASTLETON VILLAGE HALL
Notice is hereby given of the above meeting, to which all Councillors are hereby summoned to attend, for the purposes of transacting the following business:

Item 1

To consider accepting any apologies for absence.

Item 2

To record declarations of personal or pecuniary interests from Members as to any items to be discussed and as necessary or appropriate to receive and approve any Members? requests for dispensations on matters in which they have any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests.

Item 3

Public Participation:  Members of the public will be allowed to speak to the meeting upon items included in the Agenda in accordance with Standing Orders and at the discretion of the Chair of the meeting.

Item 4

Proposed Traffic Regulation Order:  To consider the proposed order, discuss and instruct notification of the Council?s views to the relevant authorities.

Public participation is usually only about 15 minutes, so if anyone is around on Thursday and could attend you might get your two pennerth in, at the very least you will get some idea of the feelings of other residents.

bograt

Mrs Trellis said:
Don't cavers drink any more? All the pub car parks are free to patrons.

Indeed, I recall TSG having an agreement with the then landlord of the Peak Hotel, and I believe the Landlord of the Bull is still the chap who had the Wanted for a while, so he understands cavers----(err, a good thing??? :-\ :-\).

pwhole

I don't drink or drive, so much of this argument is fairly abstract to me, but I am very involved in the TSG and am well aware of the danger to the club that this proposal might create. Certainly the Peak Hotel have been tolerant if drinks are purchased, and that is one route to go down in extremis, but often a visit to the club may be daytime weekdays and not for the whole day, and so drinking before driving merely to secure a parking place is certainly not to be recommended, and not really a solution in the long-term.

Mrs Trellis

You don't have to drink alcohol to be a patron.

Wacker & I know and use an offroad parking place which we may be able to persuade the owner to allow designated vehicles to park there as long as his own vehicle isn't obstructed.

pwhole

I know, but a ?3 glass of coke isn't much of a draw either when I can get a 2L bottle for half that price. I just don't like pubs, personally, but that's just me. Intrigued on the suggestion though. I've just finished my objection letter, so will whack in the postbox this afternoon.

alastairgott

Mrs Trellis said:
You don't have to drink alcohol to be a patron.

Wacker & I know and use an offroad parking place which we may be able to persuade the owner to allow designated vehicles to park there as long as his own vehicle isn't obstructed.

Mrs Trellis, Could you possibly Pm me so that we can discuss this. I'm keen to know where and how many potential parking spots before we go any further. (perhaps I'll take you up on that offer of meeting up in Stockport at lunch...)

I will, no doubt, turn up to the meeting on Thursday eve and then complete and send a letter on Friday.

cooleycr

I know that The Peak Hotel don't mind us (TSG) parking up on our club meeting nights so long as we pop in for a drink (minimum spend ?10 I believe!) but we are talking about the requirement to park a vehicle potentially from Friday afternoon through Sunday evening (for anyone staying over at the Chapel).

This situation will not only impact cavers but climbers and walkers alike as we all go out for more than the two hours that is being proposed so can this info get reposted on the other websites so as to make everyone aware - as much as we like to think we are the reason that Castleton exists, the area is not just about caving

alastairgott

Well Attended meeting, all villagers seemed in opposition to the Plans (standing room only).

Similar Plans are apparently in place to impose restrictions in Bradwell, Hope, and Hathersage.

Little to no consultation has taken place with Castleton Parish Council or High Peak Borough Council.

Join my fight on Twitter @CURB_hopeV_park
and we'll see just how effective a social Media Campaign can be.

Key points:
- Castleton is a conservation zone, Parking meters beside the Church will be an eyesore in comparison to the Grade 2 listed Church and Historically important walls around it.
- Plans to Change the main street in front of Peveril Bakery to be streetside parking will:
1) make it impossible for Those Travelling by bus to Cross the road if all parking spots are taken
2) Block 3 Disabled Access ramps to the pavement with cars.
3) make it impossible for Disabled visitors to use the pavement due to reduced space for Wheelchairs on the pavement (due to parking meters on an already tiny width pavement).
4) Stop a short stay in front of Peveril Stores for a smash and grab for Grub, (John Harrison [Showcave owner] and the Hope cement works guys always do this).
5) Increase the likelihood of people "doing no harm" by pulling up in the Bus station to visit the shop.
6) make it impossible for Busses to pull into the Bus station due to cars parked (on opposite side of road)

In short the Proposed Restrictions are unworkable, illogical, not very well thought through and Downright dangerous.

nickwilliams

Hi Alastair,

Was anyone from DCC present at the meeting, and if so was there any explanation of what they are trying to achieve with these proposals?

alastairgott

No show From DCC, despite an invitation. Castleton Parish were only informed two weeks ago (of the implementation of the plans)

All contact with DCC seems to point to moneymaking. Despite making a loss on current parking meters along the road (peak cavern CP to jn with Arthurs way and Treak cliff road).

pwhole

I think he just means the zone is from the Peak Cavern car park up the Buxton Road, not the car park itself.