It's gone quiet

paul

The forum seems to have gone very quiet these days....

Maybe somebody should go prospecting for uranium underground and get stuck again! :wink:

SamT

yeah - back to normal.

I'd say that it is busier now, post mexico. The UKc community is slowly growing, The Cavediving group are very loyal to their site and have a good little community going which is cool. Over time UKc wil grow and hopefully become 'the' place people come to on the web to ask questions and get involved.

Its just up to the few of us who post regularly to keep on posting and keep the thing alive.

right - im off to answer the St Georges day thing

bubba

Administrator
Forums always take a while to get going, and the uk caving community isn't that huge anyway.

ukbouldering.com took about 18 months before it was getting more than a trickle of posts that were mainly from the "faithful few", but now it's much busier and the daily posts are at the moment usually between 100 and 200. It'll get much busier as time goes on and the same will happen here, albeit more slowly.

Stu

It's possibly inevitable, as is often the case with forums, that in years to come we'll hanker after the quiet days when we posted topics on caving in a genteel, leg pulling fashion rather than the hystionics and self appointed guardians to be found on some forums... not mentioning any names... uk.climbing!! :shock: Plus it ups the daily total!! hehe

bubba

Administrator
I've said it before and I'll say it again - these forums will never become like ukclimbing - ok, they have an superb amount of traffic, but the anonymous postings coupled with their weak moderation has let it get out of hand. It used to be good and their style worked, but now it's a bit of a nightmare.

Stu

You're right of course. There just isn't the fractiousness associated with caving as in climbing... apart from horizontal v vertical (which is a no brainer - vert all the way...down!) and bowlines v fig 8's v fig 9's!!! Don't get me started!! :D

bubba

Administrator
I think bolts are wrong.

Also, forget chipping, cavers use explosives!! How unethical is that?

SamT

I thought you were all for bolts bubba - the more the better. Still if I was your size - I wouldnt fancy hanging off a couple of threads and a 9mm rope :poke:

As for bang - go on then why is that unethical.

Stu

What I really hate is people posing a question and then not having the decency to come back and comment.... out-bloody-rageous!!!

Explosives are too good for them!!

:twisted:

bubba

Administrator
I was being ironic in a Cocktalk stylee :D

Half the threads over there are about how bolts are bad or mindless ethical debates.

SamT said:
Still if I was your size
Watch it sunshine or I'll get Muay Thai on your ass :wink:

Stu

Isn't cross forum slagging going to get you into trouble with the Brotherhood of Admins???

:guns:

N

Neil B

bubba said:
Forums always take a while to get going, and the uk caving community isn't that huge anyway.
With new, developing bulletin boards like this, which don't have many messages going through them, I think streamlining the number of forums available to post in may have a positive effect. At the moment, it all seems so fragmented, and it takes a lot of clicking around all the different forums to read and respond to what few new posts there are.

For example, the Digging and Diving forums could be removed and their topics moved into the UK Caving forum. Video & Photography can be catered for in the Equipment & Technical forum, etc, etc.

Trip reports could be catered for in a pinned topic in the UK Caving forum.

It's just a suggestion - may be worthwhile giving it a try.

bubba

Administrator
Neil B said:
At the moment, it all seems so fragmented, and it takes a lot of clicking around all the different forums to read and respond to what few new posts there are.
I take your point - there may be too many sub forums, and will review this soon.

But there's an easy way to find all the posts since your last visit - just click the "view all unanswered posts" link on the main forum page and it puts them all into one place for you.

SamT

bubba said:
But there's an easy way to find all the posts since your last visit - just click the "view all unanswered posts" link on the main forum page and it puts them all into one place for you.

dont you mean

"View posts since last visit" link