tiny

H

Huw Groucutt

thinking of getting a new computer, are tiny any good? The prices on their website seem pretty good, some people say they ok but others say they are awful. any comments?

bubba

Administrator
Never had one so not sure really. it's always worth checking out what your local pc shop can build for you. I did buy a Time PC once which was fine and a superb deal.

cavemancolumbus

If you feel up to it the cheapest way i've found is to buy the bits off the net and put it togther yourself.
Or get a friend who knows vast amounts about computers to.

and don't forget your little independants, the other day i needed a new keyboard urgently (soup kills keyboards) and went round town. All the big chains were selling them at £20-25 but the independant one was flogging good ones for £5.
good luck.

SamT

Once had a Tiny PC - it was my first - Didnt have a great time with it - or customer services - but that was a long time ago. nearly 10 years - maybe they've got their act together. :?

H

Huw Groucutt

Something like this looks pretty good:

http://www.tiny.com/packages_new.php?prodid=7665

And yea it maybe cheaper to build your own, but doubt youd save much over something like that. A flat screen monitor alone costs a couple of hundred, then with all the other bits i dont think youd save much.

bubba

Administrator
Check out: http://www.timecomputers.com/packages.php?id=7 - getter deal?

Apparantly flat screens are not great for games unless your spending a lot of money...

H

Huw Groucutt

bubba said:
Check out:
Apparantly flat screens are not great for games unless your spending a lot of money...

ye but they look sexy!

M

mudman

Huw,

Don't know if Time have improved, but they used to be the biggest heap of shite around. Consequently I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial.
My very first PC was a Tiny many years ago. Mother in law has it now and it still works fine. Just don't try connecting to the internet with it as it only has a 14k modem. :eek:ldgit:

I believe that Time bought out Tiny some years back and so are probably now made in the same place just have different badges.

I've just bought a new Dell, well pleased with it.

There's a couple of places around that will make them up for you. There's a guy on a small industrial estate between Brynmawr and Abertillery. Also you could try PC Doctors in Waunlwyd, Ebbw Vale. It's on the Cwm road above the Festival Site. Bet they'll be as cheap as anyone.

Word of warning about printers. They may look cheap, but they get you with the ink. We had a 'free' one with the Dell. Turns out the ink can only be bought from Dell and it costs £45 :evil: .