The Robbers Cave (A.L.O.E.)

Ian Adams

The Robbers Cave by ?A.L.O.E? (1892) First Edition.

Excellent condition book with intact boards and crisp, clear plates. There is no foxing to the pages although they do show some browning and, of course, emit the pungent stench of aged paper. Notwithstanding this, the gilt edging and gilt inlay remain near perfect.

An Italian crime capper involving a group of robbers (Robin Hood style but without the ethical values) who use a cave as their base of operation. Not only is it their hidey hole, but it serves as their place or worship (the plot being riddled with religious overtones). Surprisingly (or not) there are direct (but veiled) references to Freemasonry which has nothing to do with the plot but perhaps everything to do with the writer.

Frustratingly, I could not trace the author ? not that surprising if he were a member of a society filled with secrets.

:)

Ian

Attachments

• DSCF4433a.jpg
    DSCF4433a.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 311
According to the British Library catalogue, the author was Miss Charlotte Tucker (1821-1893); the first edition they have of The Robber's Cave: a tale of Italy is from 1883, with another in 1905. She seems to have been a prolific author of religiously inspired tales, often for children, with occasional forays into exotic lands (eg the alliterative, Pomegranates from the Punjab).

The mine; or, darkness and light (1888, 1904), may be her only other offering of  subterranean, rather than spiritual, enlightenment. 

It seems unlikely that she was a mason but maybe A Lady of England. The life and letters of Charlotte Maria Tucker. [With a preface by W. F. Tucker Hamilton.] (1895) is another feint?

Ian Adams

Martin,

Excellent thank you.

I also received a message pointing towards Charlotte Marie Tucker, it is obviously her. The Wiki page does suggest she is the same person you have identified. I picked up on the strong religious belt that holds the plot but I had not thought it to be a children?s book. Knowing that it is, rings right ? I guess children had to ignite their grey matter a little more then, than they do now.

According to Bill McBrides ?identification of First Editions? the book is a First. However, that is clearly impossible as it is dated 1892 and was evidently written (and published) earlier. I suspect it may be a first edition (THUS) ? this publisher. That renders it much less interesting.

The masonic mystery deepens ?. As she is female she clearly could not have been a Freemason (only one historical reference to such a thing and it was not her). Nevertheless, there are parts and phrases which (in some cases are verbatim) are from masonic ritual. Additionally, the wiki page suggests she wrote ?moral allegories? and that is precisely the definition of Freemasonry too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Maria_Tucker

Interesting.

:)

Ian

Graigwen

Martin Laverty said:
It seems unlikely that she was a mason but maybe A Lady of England. The life and letters of Charlotte Maria Tucker. [With a preface by W. F. Tucker Hamilton.] (1895) is another feint?

"W. F. Tucker-Hamilton" was possibly the Rev William Frederick Tucker-Hamilton, said to be Charlotte's nephew.

Charlotte came from a wealthy family, I don't know if she made much money from her evangelical tales, but when she died in the Punjab in 1893 she left over ?9000, a considerable estate at that time.

Jenny P

Sounds intriguing but I don't think we'd fuss about having a copy in the British Caving Library. 

I don't know though - what do you think?  Should we include this sort of thing in the Library just because it mentions caves?

Graigwen

Jenny P said:
Sounds intriguing but I don't think we'd fuss about having a copy in the British Caving Library. 

I don't know though - what do you think?  Should we include this sort of thing in the Library just because it mentions caves?

There are lots of books that mention caves in their title but contain nothing much of interest for cavers. If you try to buy every such book you will need a bigger library and a bigger budget. On the other hand, if you can pick up the odd one cheaply.....