Northan caves 1 !

D

diggerdog adam

Just looked on ebay Item number: 4506096631 Northan caves 1 for sale with 4.5 hrs left to run £46.00 ! these books must be getting rare !

Whats the most you would pay? for a out of print caving book?

D

Dave H

On my 1988 Northern Caves 1 Wharfedale & the North-East (plastic covered softback) the ISBN is 0 95296 927 8
On my 1979 Northern Caves Wharfedale & Nidderdale (not plastic covered softback) the ISBN is 0 85206 498 5

Whats going on - surely there can't be a book I don't have :roll:

D

diggerdog adam

Yes that was just the ebay list number the end price was £47.50 inc PnP !

dunc

Whats the most you would pay? for a out of print caving book.. the end price was £47.50 inc PnP
I certainly wouldn't pay that much :shock:

So glad I got mine many years ago for a more respectable £10 or 15?
If only I knew I would have bought a pile of them back then and could be making a nice profit now!

sittingnev

Got mine for £15 got a guy on the net to search for it for me, much cheaper than buying off e-bay,, he'll find it, tell you how much it'll cost you and you decide if you want it or not. the most I'd go up to for a northern caves would be around £30.

I heard a rumour that there may well be new guide books coming out to replace them, does anyone know if this is true?

Stu

Got 2 & 3 and early copies of the fragmented previous series. What makes Vol 1 so valuable apart from rarity? What (since I have never seen a copy - excuse ignorance) caves exist within the book to make it so sought after?

dunc

It depends what you like in caves as to whether you would want the book - not as much vertical as 2/3, but still some good stuff to be had..
From that book I've had some good trips: Goyden, Out Sleets, Birks Fell, Devis, Robinsons, Sleets Gill.. Plus theres other "classics" like- Mossdale, Langcliffe, Langstroth, Stump Cross. I've probably missed off quite a few gems but it gives you a rough idea!

I heard a rumour that there may well be new guide books coming out to replace them, does anyone know if this is true?
Not heard anything about new books recently - last I heard was about 3-4years back, when the chance of new guide books appearing was slim - dalesman has been taken over and finding a publisher willing to take it on was the biggest problem! Back then it was a 50/50 split as to whether people thought enough had been found to warrant new books anyway. A lot has been found since then so it's getting to the point where a new guide of some description would be very useful..

T

tubby two

Hell, i know the person that spent the £47-50 on it and dont think they've ever been down a NC1 cave. Then again, i know someone else who paid £55 for a copy, seems ridiculous to me but if you want the full set and can afford it then that seems to be the price. COPD is equally ridiculous. Just glad i got mine for a tenner two years back.

tt.

dunc

Hell, i know the person that spent the £47-50 on it and dont think they've ever been down a NC1 cave
Sounds like they have sense then :D

Seriously though, shouldn't knock NC1, some good stuff in it..... but why would they want to spend that sort of money for something that doesn't get used?? It hardly makes interesting armchair material reading cave descriptions and I can't see prices rising that much to make it profitable for resale at a later date..? Or is it they just haven't had chance to visit the areas yet?

C

caving_goddess

Sorry tubby two for writing against you but actually i have been down some of the caves in Northern Caves 1. :x
Admittedly not as many as say NC2 or 3 but that's as expected. :?
And yes I know I spent a rather large sum of money on the book but I kinda really wanted it…so there!! :D

C

cavewidow

Good show Goddess. I don't blame you. Caving books in general can be quite hard to get hold of, so if you're happy, its all good. Hope you get to use it lots!

underground

Just reviving this one, as i have just taken delivery of a brand new copy of NC1 from a private seller on Amazon, I'd been checking back for a long time, and in the end it cost me £15 inc. P+P.

I think it just goes to show that patience is a virtue- the internet is seemingly a contributor to the 'must have now' syndrome among people these days, imagine if you actually had to wait till the weekend to visit a city centre shop for something, or spend time seaching the shelves of a second hand shop!!!

AndyF

FOR SALE

Northern caves 1 .. .er...... £46 :D

I'll spend the money on the new one when it comes out!!