boxes

KenJ

Has anyone any ideas of boxes that would be suitable for taking a camera through sumps at a depth of 40m

Pitlamp

You could think "outside the box" (sorry, that was aweful wasn't it?) and use a decent camera like a Nikonos, which will go through your 40 m deep sump (taking photographs in the process) and when it gets muddy on the far side you can just swill it off in a pool and carry on shooting. In the rush to use digital toys these excellent film cameras seem to have been forgotten. But they're incredibly robust, optically superb and arguably the best tool for the job, especially in the harsh conditions of a cave. The above may or may not help but it's meant to be a serious suggestion.

T

twllddu

I heard someone mention "Otter Box" over the weekend in a similar context, don't know anything about them though..

T

twllddu

Further info:

http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/cgi-bin/CDG/BBS/threadall.html?Thread=1380

M

MSD

One option is to use a dry bag and fit an inlet valve and exhaust valve to it. Connect it via a hose to a second stage. Obviously you have to put some air in as you go down and probably put a weight in to make it neutral, but it should be a pretty reliable way of transporting something.

Otherwise you could do what I have done once or twice before, which is to have the camera inside my dry suit! Obviously it's not very convenient for getting it out to take a picture, but if you are going to de-kit on the other side it's a pretty reasonable technique.

Mark